BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Story Settings - Story Lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I setup my stories, I typically work with 0" for top of slab, then 9'-1" for first floor top plates, then 10'-3 3/4" for top of floor at second story, then 19'-3 3/4" for second floor top plates, and so on.
I end up with the first floor top plate and second floor very close together, and have not been able to figure out how to "break" those lines to separate them from each other. Something really simple in Revit. Thank you,
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, Revit provides you this possibility to create Levels, which are not necessarily Stories.
In ARCHICAD, there is no such capability.
So I would recommend that you create Stories only where there are actually Stories, so I would not create Stories for tops of plates, only for tops of floors.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your response, I understand and it is how I have always done it, however, for my purpose, I prefer using several stories to properly show my wall height, subfloor system, second floor plates, etc.
Likely I will opt to just not show one of the story lines and add it by hand.
Typical residential homes here are built using the platform framing system, having the walls reach up to the floor system above is not accurate, the floor platform sits on the walls and the subsequent walls sit on the floor platform... Modeling like we build pretty much.
I appreciate your response nonetheless.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Depending on how you are modelling your flooring system, coordinating your Building Materials may solve that for you.

In the simplest case, if you were just using a slab to represent your framing system, as long as it uses a Building Material with a greater Intersection Priority than your wall, it will "sit" on the wall.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
I did some subcontract work for a designer who also had Revit subcontractors and had a very precise output format that I had to comply with. It included top of wall and top of subfloor levels etc so I worked out a way of adding extra stories. These levels all had to be dimensioned with geodetic elevations in metric and imperial for the building authority. It does work although you then have all these extra stories. ( See attached )
Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
jl_lt
Ace
Hi Mr Gerald. The lack of this ability is one of my few gripes with archicad. Could You elaborate a little bit more on how You handled the added floors?? If at least one could hide the non used floorplans it would be great
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Hi, sorry I didn't see your question until today. I'm not quite sure what you are asking but the extra stories are only to generate the needed height levels which I could have associative dimensions working properly instead of just using 2D lines in Elevations and Sections for example.

What I do in my view map is erase all the names of the intermediate stories and just show Main Floor, Upper Floor, Roof Plan, Basement etc. so it is easy to select the floors without seeing all the extra names. There are just blank spaces for those.

Let me know if this wasn't your question.

Cheers,
Gerald
OS X 11.6
27" LG 5K Monitor
jl_lt
Ace
Hi, thanks for answering! So, you still only use the main levels to organize floor plans and attach object to these levels, or do you attach objects (like beams) to these intermediate levels? Dont you have problems with erased names if you use cloned folders?
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Hi, I still only use the main levels shown in the previous attachment for publishing so anything you have to have shown on the floor plans would have to place on those stories. In these projects where I had extra stories I sometimes put modelling elements on them which wouldn't be displayed in plan if it made sense as a way of isolating things for ease of modelling. eg. wall or window trim, ceiling drywall slabs etc.

The Project map has all the names of the Stories of course and when I made cloned folders of the Floor Plans I just erase the names I don't want in there to make selecting easier. I don't know if that is your question.

Cheers,
Gerald
OS X 11.6
27" LG 5K Monitor
jl_lt
Ace
Thanks! i ask this in relation to what you can do in Revit, that is, you can generate Datum levels without generating a floor plan and then attach objects to them (like the inferior level of a beam or slab, and then modify such elements by modifying the datum level), but the workflow you describe and the aditional levels you can automatically represent with it in Archicad is certainly very helpful!
Learn and get certified!