BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Strange behaviour from beams

Kamelite
Enthusiast
I'm trying to make a drawing of floorbeams. But I've encountered some strange behaviour from AC while creating the floorplan: As you can see in the Attached image, I've a beam going along the outter edge of the floor on both sides. And the beams are supposed to be placed in between these outter ones. However, only one of the ends of the beam rests against the outter beam, the other end goes past it, and adds the beams thickness to the length (see the green beam to see what I mean). And the weird part is that if I use the Stretch-option in the Pet-Palette to correct this, the end that was wrong before, now is correct, but the end that was previously correct is now wrong. In other Words, it seems as I just move the beam instead of adjusting the length. Some of the beams, however, are in between on both sides. And that is kind of strange, because every one is created by drag-to-copy whith a certain distance in between. The upper right beam that is Shorter than everything else is how I want it to be.

Is this an issue were I should make the edge-beams in a different material and then adjust the priority or something?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thnx

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Thag:

You are correct, it looks like one end of the Beam looks for the adjacent Beam's reference line when the opposite end is edited. One option is to stretch the length of the Beam away from the other Beams, then move the Beam back in place, but the same connection will occur if the Beam is later edited. Another option is to place the Reference Lines of the perimeter Beams on their inside face, and place the interior Beams on a different layer that has a different Layer Intersection Group number (Help Files: Configuration > Attributes > Layers > Use Layers to Prevent Intersections).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Kamelite
Enthusiast
David wrote:
Thag:

You are correct, it looks like one end of the Beam looks for the adjacent Beam's reference line when the opposite end is edited. One option is to stretch the length of the Beam away from the other Beams, then move the Beam back in place, but the same connection will occur if the Beam is later edited. Another option is to place the Reference Lines of the perimeter Beams on their inside face, and place the interior Beams on a different layer that has a different Layer Intersection Group number (Help Files: Configuration > Attributes > Layers > Use Layers to Prevent Intersections).

David
I discovered that right after I posted this. Is that a bug or a feature in AC? Shouldn't the beam Connect to the chosen side of the adjacent beam regardless of wich side the Reference line is?

.thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Kamelite wrote:
I discovered that right after I posted this. Is that a bug or a feature in AC? Shouldn't the beam Connect to the chosen side of the adjacent beam regardless of wich side the Reference line is?
It is probably by design, so there is automatic clean up of Beam intersections similar to the Wall tool.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!