BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stretching roof pivot lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm experimenting using AC15, and when trying to stretch a roof pivot line and inputting the dimension, it will not stretch the dimension that I input. This technique will work in the 3D window however. Can I get someone else to confirm this or is it just me?
15 REPLIES 15
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Millard:

Works here, I tried Single-Plane Roof. What are the steps you are taking? Are you using the Tracker or Coordinates palette for input (the WE (Tracker and Coordinate Input) has various input options)? Is your WE set up the same in 14 and 15?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
rjwilden
Booster
Millard wrote:
I'm experimenting using AC15, and when trying to stretch a roof pivot line and inputting the dimension, it will not stretch the dimension that I input. This technique will work in the 3D window however. Can I get someone else to confirm this or is it just me?

Same here. The tool ignores the R distance input.
Also the pet pallet is very flaky.
You have to reselect the desired function after every move &
the selection wont stick, seems to drop it.
The pallet wont show after selecting a roof edge, which happens randomly.
I used the tool a couple of times with the demo download and this wasn't a problem, is the demo download more up to date .

Disappointingly the first roof I tried to build it couldn't do it. A multi-plane roof with a lean too at a different angle, think barn. In order to connect the lean too with multi plane you have to split the roof and join in the usual way . Once split you cant reassemble as far as I can tell. Tried using multi plane geometry, no joy there.
Seems the a reassemble function should be part of it. For example a group of mono pitched roofs would be nice if they could all become multi plane.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I am experiencing the same as Millard. When trying to extend a gable, it doesn't take the number I give it-in plan or 3d. How do you select just one plane of the roof? I guess I need to view the videos again.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Barry Kelly
rjwilden wrote:
I used the tool a couple of times with the demo download and this wasn't a problem, is the demo download more up to date .
This could be the case - check the build numbers.
I heard the one on the CD is 3002?
The download is build 3006.
rjwilden wrote:
Disappointingly the first roof I tried to build it couldn't do it. A multi-plane roof with a lean too at a different angle, think barn. In order to connect the lean too with multi plane you have to split the roof and join in the usual way . Once split you cant reassemble as far as I can tell. Tried using multi plane geometry, no joy there.
What you have done is probably the best way.
Use the multi-plane roof to get basically what you want then convert to single planes and adjust to what you really want.

Something you could play with is adding a second level to your roof.
Then one of those lower planes could be adjusted in pitch and stretched as desired.
Hard to say without seeing an image of exactly what you want.
Basically creating a multipitched roof but adjusting only one plane and leaving the others all the same pitch as each other.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Stephen wrote:
How do you select just one plane of the roof?
In either 2D or 3D, select the pivot line of the roof plane you want to modify and the upper right icon in the pet palette.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Thanks David. What about multi-plane on just one-like a shed roof?
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Stephen wrote:
Stephen:

I may not understand your question (an image would help), but if you need a single roof plane, then use the Single-Plane Geometry method. Multi-Plane and Single Plane Roofs can be combined using the new Connect function. To get the full value from this approach, go to Preferences > Construction Elements and under Floor Plan Display of Single Roofs use True 3D Projection.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
rjwilden
Booster
David wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Stephen:
. Multi-Plane and Single Plane Roofs can be combined using the new Connect function.
David

I Haven't been able to do this combine multi plane roof with single plane, can you explain how this is achieved.

Richard
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
rjwilden wrote:
I Haven't been able to do this combine multi plane roof with single plane, can you explain how this is achieved.
It is clearer in the 3D Window (but can be done in 2D). Select one of the Roofs, right-click and select Connect > Trim Elements to Roof/Shell, click on the other Roof you want to trim to, then select the part of the 1st Roof you want to keep. It is similar to SEO, but with automatically correct 2D display if your Preference is set correctly (see my previous post). The elements are not combined into one, but behave as SEO. You could always Group them to tie them together. This is a new command that users will need to play with to understand its full use.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Learn and get certified!