Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Struggling with weird results when complex profile walls meet - hanging geometry?

Davef_dci
Participant

Hey folks,

I'm trying to learn how to use complex profiles and I thought a good opportunity to try one out would be to create a complex profile consisting of a concrete basement wall with rigid foam insulation. I'm proposing a "tongue-and-groove" interlock between the footing and the basement wall (with 6mm poly capillary break - which I am not currently modeling). 

When I try to intersect two basement walls I'm not getting a clean trim - the "tongue" on one wall simply keeps going some distance beyond a clean trim. It doesn't happen on every wall - only on some. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong??? 

Thanks!  

Before trim 

Davef_dci_2-1675964344500.png

After trim - 

Davef_dci_3-1675964441651.png

9 REPLIES 9

Hello @Davef_dci,

Change your basement walls into basement beams.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Botonis
Advisor

I would have played with the reference line position, or the materials priority.... 

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

How they look on floor plan?

I suggest reducing junction order value for the wall exceeding to out, for example change it to 7 rather than 8.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
Barry Kelly

Can you show us the complex profile?

Also if you draw two walls away from the other structure and they intersect at the corner, what do they look like?

Maybe something else in that structure is affecting how they trim - other walls or beams or the slabs?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

The tongue is intersecting with your footing? Put them on layers with different Intersection Groups? Sometimes just changing the junction order can help.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Miha_M
Advisor

I had this problem a few times, mostly such unwanted artefacts are caused by intersections with elements of the same kind (probably walls in your case) on different stories. As mentioned here by @Christophe Fortineau  you could change the profiled footing elements to beams or as @Lingwisyer proposed change the footing layer intersection priority number different to the one the walls-above-layer has.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Lingwisyer
Guru

Doing footings as Beams is probably the better way, as you get a few extra options on how it looks uncut.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
abdelaziz
Expert

Hi,

check the overlap of the reference lines between all the walls, the more the lines overlap, the more this problem appears, from what I see you have several complex profiles overlapping

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27
Davef_dci
Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not exactly sure what solved it I but I moved the hotspot / anchor point on the complex profile and redrew it a few times and the overlap went away.  I think it's possible that one of the corners was at a different elevation?  

Not sure what fixed it but something did?