BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Suggestions on Best Practice for Interior Design Modeling

Anonymous
Not applicable
The firm I work for has recently started to do more of the interior design for our projects. We have noticed some display problems in modeling the interior elevations. Our main problem is the modeled interior stuff shows up in floor plan and messes with the display of some elements in the floor plans. We are trying to determine the best, easiest, most efficient way to fix this problem. We have thought about using modules, a separate INTERIORS layer, and a INTERIORS renovation filter. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/ideas. I'd love to hear what other Archicad users have done to solve this problem.
3 REPLIES 3
alemanda
Advocate
everything depends on what you want achieve.
I usually use
- layers for rendering purpose only.
- layers for elements VIP (Visible In Plan) and NO VIP to be shown only on the elevations/sections/3D view

In case you want to show particular furniture pieces (downloaded from internet) you maybe need to
1. clean the floor plan symbol
2. use two symbols: one for floorplan representation only and one for elevation/section/3D view ...

Generally all this can be achieved by use of layers.

This is my experience
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Barry Kelly
Layers will allow you to turn elements on/off as required.
Set up layer combinations to quickly switch to what you need.

Also if you do not want elements in one layer to interfere (trim) with elements in another layer (even when that layer is turned off) then make sure those layers have different intersection priority numbers.
These numbers are also saved in your layer combinations so will need to be set there.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If I want to keep my model clean of impression stuff, I sometimes hotlink the whole PLN to a new PLN where I then put my 3D presentation stuff in there.

I generally do this when the libraries provided by furniture manufacturers and such 'polute' my project with lots of fills and surfaces created by those libraries.

I've also used your trick with renovation filters for people and plants and trees. I generally populate a 3D camera view with a bit of entourage that works for the composition of that view. These will most of the time not work for the next view, so I use your trick with renovation filters for each saved camera.

As Barry wrote above: keep your 3D archicad interior elements like walls, slabs, etc that will create connections with your model on a layer with seperate intersection number.

You will also want a seperate layer for 'lamps', not the actual fixtures, but the superior spotlight, IES light etc light sources that you need to light out your interior scenes in Cinerender, you do not want these showing up in your floorplan drawings and such.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!