BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Support for GDL Software Tools will be ceased with AC17

Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
GDL Software Downloads
Note: Support for GDL Software Tools such as the GDL Web Publisher/Control (GWC) and GDL Object Adapter (GOA) technologies will be ceased with the release of ArchiCAD 17.
This note you can find at http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/parametric_objects/downloads/.

I am shocked by this policy of Graphisoft. For me as a GDL developer it means the end of all projects, which are working with parametric GDL objects on the Internet.
I appeal to Graphisoft to reconsider this step again.
It is in my view a short sighted step. In the long term this can also mean the migration of ArchiCAD Customers who should indeed be the main focus of Graphisoft.
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What is your understanding of what this statement means?
That these will be discontinued?

My understanding after reading this is that support for them will be discontinued, not the products themselves.
There are all the Goodies as well that Graphisoft does not support, but they are all updated with each new release.

I will ask GS to clarify this.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
My understanding is that discontinuing the support means the same as discontinuing the products, because the GDL Web Control in the last years had a large number of bugs. If the support will be discontinued, no more new bugs will be fixed. If the Web Control was a very stable software, I would have no concerns; but it is not stable. Even the actual version ist not working with Firefox.
I cannot recommend any manufacturer, to put money into web-based GDL objects; so for me it means this technology is dead.

I heard about a new product to view GDL objects in the web, but it will not have the parametric function; so it will be no real substitute. Pity.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I started to develop GDL objects (Medusa, Dragon and some more). When I realized that Graphisoft don't want GDL developers I stop it . I released for free the objects that had developed and I started with other things (now I'm developing 3d printers). For things like this is why Revit will soon be the standard in the BIM world. I think that Archicad is a very good product and GDL has many possibilities but has very poor support. This year I have cancelled my subscription and when somebody asks me, I recommend Revit. Indeed if I wasn´t spend so many euros in Archicad, I will use Revit...
Anonymous
Not applicable
One of the new feature of AC16 was the BIMcomponents site. It currently works with GDL WEB control...
Do you think it won't be supported in any way in the future?

I think/hope it will be.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
Now "support" has been replaced by "development"

"Note: The development of GDL Software Tools such as the GDL Web Publisher/Control (GWC) and GDL Object Adapter (GOA) technologies will be ceased with the release of ArchiCAD 17."
Frank Beister
Advisor
Cosmetic. If the development is terminated, the tools will not be able to handel actual objects. Only AC16- will work.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
Joachim wrote:
Now "support" has been replaced by "development"

"Note: The development of GDL Software Tools such as the GDL Web Publisher/Control (GWC) and GDL Object Adapter (GOA) technologies will be ceased with the release of ArchiCAD 17."
So in a perverse conjunction with lazlonagy's posted interpretation from Feb 08, it seems that GDL Web Publisher/Control (GWC) and GDL Object Adapter (GOA) may continue to exist and be supported, but will not be developed. GS should make a straightforward, unambiguous, policy statement about these tools.
Learn and get certified!