Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Survey point and modeling volume limit

Hello,

Modeling in 3D (BIM or not) means modeling in a limited volume. The farther away from the original 0,0,0 point, the greater the risk of 3D aberration.
With Archicad 25 I can finally import a point cloud or a dwg which can be placed very far from the origin, then I am able to model far from the origin, but ...

Do we know the volume limit in Archicad 25 ?

Do we still have to work close to the origin ?

If I work far from the origin on AC25 and I record in version 24, will my project be usable ?

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
3 REPLIES 3
felcunha
Expert

Hello Christophe,

I don't see why the distance limit would have change in AC... That's why they've set up, I think, the Survey Point. So, even in 25 you can't work far from origin, just as before. But you can change the survey point to match the global coordinates.

Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

As far as I know, it is still recommended to not model far from the origin.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hello and thank you for your participations !

I also don't see why the distance limit would have changed to AC. I therefore ask myself the question of importing a point cloud (modeling support) which is correctly georeferenced far from the origin via topographic coordinates.

Today I subtract a fixed value from the X and Y coordinates to bring the point cloud (or DWG file) closer to the origin but I thought I was not doing it the right way and imagined that the modeling space management would have could be modified with Archicad 25.

I also wonder why there is no automatic correspondence possible between the topographic coordinates (choice of referencing systems) and the GPS coordinates. Maybe an upcoming evolution?

Here the wish :  https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Possibility-of-automatic-correspondance-between-GPS...

Do we know the "limit" modeling volume in Archicad 25? Is it changing between each Archicad version ?

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin