BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Symbolic cut for Complex Profiles?

jbArch
Newcomer
I'm using complex profiles for foundation walls. Sometimes I'd like to set these below the cutting plane (because of level changes & exterior grade changes), but they should still display in plan as if they are cut.

The "Symbolic Cut" option is grayed out for these walls. How can I reactivate it? Or am I stuck?

thanks,
JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
jbArch wrote:
I'm using complex profiles for foundation walls. Sometimes I'd like to set these below the cutting plane (because of level changes & exterior grade changes), but they should still display in plan as if they are cut.

The "Symbolic Cut" option is grayed out for these walls. How can I reactivate it? Or am I stuck?

thanks,
JB
But not if they are set to cut only.
Bill
Contributor
I have come across this problem, too, and I think you are stuck.

The program can't show a symbolic cut because an outline for a complex profile wall could be of varying dimension at different heights. Imagine if the complex profile wall has (from bottom to top) a footer, foundation wall, sill plate and wood framing... all of those components will have different widths, and be made of different fills, so how could it nowwhat would be the 'symbolic' place to cut? With simple or composite walls this isn't an issue.

I ended up drawing fills for my walls in these cases.
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
jbArch
Newcomer
Yeah thanks, this is one of those times when I want AC to read my mind and know which slice of the profile to show in plan.

Would sure be nice for GS to add a feature to the profile manager, basically a "cutting plane" for profiles, so that you could then define a symbolic cut. Maybe in AC v.20!
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Anonymous
Not applicable
that is a great idea - you should make a wish posting for that
Learn and get certified!