BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

T-junction composite cleanup weirdness

Any idea what is causing this problem, how it can be solved? Layers have the same intersection priority, exterior walls have a higher junction order than the demising wall, the 'frame with insulation' material is the same everywhere, and the cleanup is still weird.

On the first picture, the left exterior wall is selected and highlighted just to make it readable in this picture. I thought the problem was related to the three-reference-line junction (which I really need), but the second picture shows the problem is still there even with a single continuous exterior wall.

The problem still happens regardless of where I put the reference line on both the exterior wall/s and the demising wall —I tried all variations.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 3.12.32 PM.png
6 REPLIES 6
insideru
Advocate
i dont get what you are trying to achieve. do you want the line on the left vertical insulation or no line on the right side?
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
insideru wrote:
i dont get what you are trying to achieve. do you want the line on the left vertical insulation or no line on the right side?
I was expecting no line. I am trying to achieve consistency. Both consistent line and consistent no line would be defensible.
insideru
Advocate
well, if it were me i would go with a line. thats because the insulation in the vertical wall is clearly another building material (may be the same product but a different width makes it a different material to me ).

but that doesn't make the whole problem go away.

here are the tests i made:

1. pretty much your setup, top wall one piece, vertical wall one piece piece
2. vertical wall has a different building material for the insulation (with a lower priority), top wall one piece, vertical wall one piece
3. same composite as on #2, but on the top there are 2 walls intersecting on the reference line. weird #*$@ happens
4. solution one: 2 different vertical walls, each with half of the composite, different building material, line separator
5. solution two: same thing, but with the same building material, no lines[/img]
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 01.00.05.png
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
Making two different materials for different wall types will collapse as soon as two demising walls meet on a T junction (at the opposite end of the demising wall: double wall meets double wall). Modeling a single demising wall out of two Archicad walls will not work in any other Archicad aspect than this one.

I am trying with different composites using the same materials and the problem appears only with some, and can't nail down what's triggering it.
insideru
Advocate
Apparently archicad doesn't like those 2 insulation parts of one wall meeting up with an insulation part of another wall. I needed to fake the composite to get a somewhat clean intersection (its still not 100% clean). Here's how i did it: on the outer wall, between the insulation and the interior finish, just add a thin (2mm or even less) strip of a material with a high priority. Then make sure all the walls have the same junction priority.

This is the best i got
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this may be a limitation in the algorithm that calculates these joints.
Interestingly, if there is no plaster on the side of the thick wall, it would join with both insulation skins properly.

I would probably model the vertical single composite Wall using 2 composite wall instances, that would work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!