BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

TEAMWORK really WORK?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
for a few projects me and my team mates try to use teamwork function and everytime we are stuck in the same problem
after we share a project NOBODY has the rights to change the layers, composite materials, walls,layers and more more stuff and many times

WHAT IS WRONG??????

i think is a big problem here because in the project we change a lot of stuff

i don't belive if somebody setup the whole project at the beginning
really i don't belive this

and is the option to resave in pln format...make the desired settings...and reshare the project...but it's time consuming....and when you have a deadline...so close as usual it's the waste of time to save resave reshare share and so on....

thanks for your support
9 REPLIES 9
TomWaltz
Participant
The things you are trying to change must be done by someone signed in as "team leader."

You might try looking at the Archicad User Guide for an overview of the team roles and who can do what.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
not always worked
sometimes works walls and doesn't work storys
sometimes works composite and don't work other stuff

i've read the user guide, but the chapter teamwork has only 6 pages and as always archicad is full of surprises

thx for reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
While there is much room for improvement, I have very little trouble with teamwork. Sign in as team leader with exclusive access and you can change just about everything.

What version are you using? The AC9 docs include about 22 pages on teamwork (not including the contents and index). Not exactly exhaustive, but adequate for a start.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use AC9 and now we switch on 10
I work with AC since 6.5

what do you mean with exclusive access?

Thanx
Anonymous
Not applicable
Catalin wrote:
what do you mean with exclusive access?
In the first sign-in dialog there is a check box for this that appears near the bottom when you chose to sign in as team leader. Selecting this will bypass all the remaining dialogs (since you are signing into everything - there is nothing to select) and it is nearly the same as opening a solo project (with the exception that you still have to send changes and can save a local draft.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok thank you for help

but i've try to find some solution cu work teamwork over the internet
and for this problem i speak with my network administrator to find a solution
and we fail after trying some solution (client i need to be is windows XP)

you have some ideas to access the teamwork file over the internet?
the safest solution is over a ftp server but archicad don't offer this option..

thank you
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
There's no doubt that this area of teamwork needs to be improved, but I have had good experiences using draft archives remotely.

Have someone local sign in for you and save the area as a draft archive. Then they can just zip it up and email it to you. You work on it remotely, send it back to them, they open it and send & receive the changes.

Not the best method imaginable, but it works well.

Cheers,
Link.

PS. Is that your real hair?
Anonymous
Not applicable
i've try olso this option but if nobody is around the LAN in that moment..it can be a problem

PS:the picture is from the forum avatar database
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think emailing the draft is safer personally, but if you had to....

I'm not sure about windows, but on a mac you can mount an FTP share and access the files on it as if it were local. I imagine windows must offer something similar (no idea really, go Macs!). That being the case you could access the teamwork file remotely and "Send and Receive." I do see two problems with this setup though:

1) I haven't the foggiest what would happen if you lost your internet connection while "sending and receiving." Anyone have an idea?

2) You are limited in speed by your connection and the portal connection. So it can take ages to Send/Recieve depending on your project size/connections speed. I'm not sure what exactly is transferred, is the entire file or just what has changed?

Hope this helps.

I use an AFP mount here and used a teamwork file the other day. I signed into the remote .plp file and went to town. It took 20 mins to load the 30 meg file and the same to "send and receive." Obviously not ideal but thats my DSL connection which uploads poorly. I imagine if you have a better connection this situation could fit your needs (again I dont know what would happen if you were disconnected in the middle of send/receive).

YMMV
Learn and get certified!