BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

TIP: Tame the Dimension Line Preview!

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi all

Just wanted to let you know about our latest blog post!

Dimensioning Linear elements in ARCHICAD is very simple. However, the feedback given by the Dimension Line Preview can appear a bit wild sometimes - so it is important to understand what is happening! Check out our latest blog post to learn more! Video included!

bim6x.com/blog/tame-dimension-line-preview#

Cheers,
Link.
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The thing that irks me to this day is that I allways seem to have to put the dimension line in a 'random' spot and then move it to the 300 mm gap between elements/dimension lines we use as our standard. There is no option to input the 300 mm relative to something, or I am still missing something very obvious.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
Erwin wrote:
The thing that irks me to this day is that I allways seem to have to put the dimension line in a 'random' spot and then move it to the 300 mm gap between elements/dimension lines we use as our standard. There is no option to input the 300 mm relative to something, or I am still missing something very obvious.
Do you mean you want to offset your dimension a particular distance from an element or another dimension?

If so for horizontal and vertical dimensions it is quite easy.
When you have the hammer to place the dimension hover it over your element (or other dimension) and the type 'X300+' or 'Y300-' depending on the angle or distance you want to move.

For angled dimensions you can temporarily rotate the active window, dimension with X or Y and reset to zero rotation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Thanks Barry, I'm used to hitting TAB to get in the tracker, but that does the trick for the majority of dimensions. I still find it odd that distance doesn't work.

Now what to do with all those extra minutes of time per week...
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!