BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Text, visible on the Floor Plan, not visible for Print OUT

Cosminn
Contributor
Hi everyone!

Are we able using GDL, to write a code, for let's say a text in 2d script that will be visible on the Floor plans, but I don't need it if I want to print a file or export as pdf, etc.
Sincerely,
Daniel
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
I don't think you can unless GLOB_VIEW_TYPE will work - but I don't think it will as you will be placing the object in your plan that will then have a view of that plan placed on the layout as a drawing.
I think this will only work if the object is placed directly on the layout.

Why don't you just place the text in a layer that gets turn of in the view saved for the layout?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Cosminn
Contributor
Thank you Barry for your prompt reply , what I am trying to achieve actually is something like I'll protect my template.

We are using a Bim Server and my new template contain a lot of gdl work, complex profiles, composites,rendering scenes etc. I don't want someone to be able to use this template for external Projects if make sense.

So I am still thinking to a solution to protect this work. because as far as I know, you can easily save a copy of project, once you have acces to a bim Server, or you can extract all the libraries as well very easily.

Any advice in this way?

Thank you
Sincerely,
Daniel
matjashka
Enthusiast
Cosminn,

What you're talking about is easily achievable by using white text against a non-white screen background that won't print on paper. Thus said, limited protection of shared digital content is also its inherent property. If you don't want your content stolen, never share a single unencrypted copy with anyone, period.

You can hide multiple "micro-signatures" in the template that will be very hard to find and that will prove in court that you're the author, but you can't prevent any of your consultants/colleagues from grabbing and re-using a copy. If you password-protect all your GDL and force some kind of a watermark in them, what will prevent me from deleting those objects once I get a copy of a Teamwork project?

You can force your consultants to work in TW hotlinked modules only and cut off access to the main file. Will that solve more problems than it creates? IDK. That's probably what I would do if I needed to do some limited-access project. You could give them dummy substitutes of the real GDL objects loaded locally into the main project from a library that you don't share with outsiders.

You could use some GDL environmental variables (like geolocation or very specific direction of north arrow) and hard-code them in GDL objects to match your specific project, and then put a password on them. You could CALL some fine-tuned Macros that will crash all your objects outside of a very specific environment, which may be the easiest for maintenance. It will make the others' lives painful, as well as yours when it comes to tracking what's going on -- but it may successfully deter thieves.
It will still be limited to GDL only, everything else will be up for grabs.

Bottom line -- Good luck. if I can't trust the people I work with, then I probably have a bigger problem to solve. In a world when everybody just comes to grab the free stuff and walks away, you're making carefully balanced business decisions.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Learn and get certified!