Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

The depth of Windows and Doors in a wall calculated differently in Floor Plan View than the others

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Fellow Archicad Users!

I have found a serious issue with Window and Door Elements when they are placed in a wall with Complex Profile and when the Opening Line (Opening Reference Line) used at the same time in the Profile.

In the following AC Versions:
AC 23 3003 GER DEMO
AC23 5005 GER DEMO
AC24 3008 GER DEMO

As you can see, this is the German Version!

The problem is, that no matter where is the Opening Reference Line in the Complex Profile, it has no effect in the ground floor plan Viewport, instead the depth of Openings in a Complex Profiled Wall is always calculated from the VISIBLE cut surface of the wall in Ground Floor Plan View. Under VISIBLE I mean, that this Profile has a thinner and a thicker Thermal Insulation above each other, and when one is under the cut plane, the other one is cut off course, but the Windows and Doors are always in line with the Visible Edge, so it is not fix. It changes depending on how high is the Thermal Insulation.

Hopefully it is more understandable with the attached pictures. In this example I used the wall Profile "Wand - Kellerwand 1" from the German Template, and I moved the Opening Reference Line further from the Outside Surface of the Wall in orther to see the error better. It doesn't matter which Window or Door I placed, it is the same perhaps with every Library Type.

Could somebody from Graphisoft check wether it is an error in other versions (INT) too, or I miss something about the use of Opening Reference Line in a Complex Profile?

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards
Thoron
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for posting this issue with a proper illustration.
I noticed this a couple of years ago. In my opinion it is a bug.
In theory, the opening reference line should be capable to define the practical width for a door/windows, right?
But in reality, it does nothing.
In some specific issues, we have to set the door/window anchor point to the top, just be able to place them with the correct wall width.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thoron wrote:
Hello Fellow Archicad Users!

I have found a serious issue with Window and Door Elements when they are placed in a wall with Complex Profile and when the Opening Line (Opening Reference Line) used at the same time in the Profile.

In the following AC Versions:
AC 23 3003 GER DEMO
AC23 5005 GER DEMO
AC24 3008 GER DEMO

As you can see, this is the German Version!

The problem is, that no matter where is the Opening Reference Line in the Complex Profile, it has no effect in the ground floor plan Viewport, instead the depth of Openings in a Complex Profiled Wall is always calculated from the VISIBLE cut surface of the wall in Ground Floor Plan View. Under VISIBLE I mean, that this Profile has a thinner and a thicker Thermal Insulation above each other, and when one is under the cut plane, the other one is cut off course, but the Windows and Doors are always in line with the Visible Edge, so it is not fix. It changes depending on how high is the Thermal Insulation.

Hopefully it is more understandable with the attached pictures. In this example I used the wall Profile "Wand - Kellerwand 1" from the German Template, and I moved the Opening Reference Line further from the Outside Surface of the Wall in orther to see the error better. It doesn't matter which Window or Door I placed, it is the same perhaps with every Library Type.

Could somebody from Graphisoft check wether it is an error in other versions (INT) too, or I miss something about the use of Opening Reference Line in a Complex Profile?

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards
Thoron
Dear Thoron,

Thank you for your report and I am very sorry about the experience!

This is an old bug with Archicad. The discussion can be found in this thread: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62812

Unfortunately, fixing this bug is a project size task because it has a lot of design-related issues. The workaround for this issue is to set the Opening Reference line at the correct part of the wall.

Thank you very much for your understanding, and once again I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Minh, but after reading the thread you linked, and after further investigation, the Position of the Opening line is totally irrelevant in Floor Plan View. It also doesn't matter when it is deactivated in Complex Profile: the position of the Window in Floor Plan View is always depends on the Cutting Plane. When I just change the height of the Cutting Plane, the position of the Window changes accordingly, which is bad, really really bad. So it means there is no existing workaround here.

I hope that Graphisoft some time will solve the issues with the Floor Plan View, eg. with the unvisible Openings in Walls, when it is done with SEO etc.

Best Regards,
Thoron
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The workaround may be to place an empty opening into the Complex Profile Wall, then place another Wall into the opening, which has the same size as the opening and then place the Door/Window into this smaller Wall.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Thoron,

Yes you are right! I forgot that this "workaround" only work when the upper part of the wall is thinner (which is where the cut plane is crossing through). In short, yes the Opening Reference of the doors and windows follows the cut plane only. I tried to come up with a solution that can work with only one wall, but it's not possible. As Laszlo mentioned, you can place a faux wall right at the opening to show the door correctly on the plan.

I will add your comment to the existing defect entry. Hopefully we will be able to implement a fix for this in the near future!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your help, Laszlo and Minh! I appreciate it!

Best Regards,
Thoron