BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Traingular Building

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm new to Archicad and am trying to model the shape on the image attached. It will form a 500mm thick RC structure - that effectively becomes both the roof and walls of a building. We've modeled it in sketchup (pic attached) and eventually modeled the outside surface as a series of single plane roofs. I've used these to perform solid operations on a further single plane roof with no angle and thickness greater then the building height. My intention was to then create a further set of single plane roofs to form the internal surface of the structure and use these to perform solid operations on the same roof object thus giving me the shape. To do this I need to offset in 3d the first set of single plane roofs by 500mm so I have a constant thicknes to my final shape - and I cannot find a way of doing this -
Or maybe I'm going about this entirely the wrong way - any help most welcome
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
Archicad makes roof elements with thickness. Roof thickness is controlled as attached.

Make all building elements from roofs - then you can make tilted triangles. See Archicad help for how to draw roofs in 3D.
roof thickness.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight,

That would be great if the roofs extruded down from this surface but when i add a thickness I end up with a mess like the attached. I really need the planes i have already drawn to define the external face of the roof not the internal one.
Dwight
Newcomer
Aside from meticulously editing roof edges, here's another idea:

Build the shape from triangulated mesh
Use the Design Extra "Mesh to Roof"
This will give the mesh the thickness of a roof and split the triangles.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,
I need to make some triangular tilted walls with windows and doors. How can I make triangular tilted walls with windows and doors?
Thank you,
John
Dwight
Newcomer
You'll use roof elements to trim tilted walls.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
You'll use roof elements to trim tilted walls.
perfect
thank you
Learn and get certified!