BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Training/ Transition from AutoCAD 2002 to ArchiCAD10

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the best (most comprehensive) way to learn the ArchiCAD 10 software. I am new to ArchiCAD (have been an Autodesk AutoCAD user since 1989).

I am really frustrated by the poor quality (incomplete/ inaccuracy) of what I have seen/ been exposed to thus far. The index of the Graphisoft Reference Guide is terribly inadequate. (Where do you set/ establish the project orientation (project North)?Try and look it up. Try the "help" tab as well, I cant find the answer.)

The most helpful 'tool' was/is the "Virtual Tutor 9" by Design Animation / GraphisoftAustralia, but this was for Version 9. I have ordered the Virtual Tutor 10 and am ...........waiting for it's arrival/release.

I have lost several hundreds of hours in productivity trying to learn by trial and error. The on-line tutorial produced by Graphisoft was very elementary and not produced well. I learn best in a hands-on environment, supplemented by reading material.

You'd think that if Graphisoft truly wanted to improve their market share, they would be creating a complete and thorough/ hands-on, Step-by-Step manual with DVD (as GRAPHISOFTAUSTRALIA did) while they were developing and distributing the Software. Of what use will a complete manual be in a year or so when the next release is marketed.
3 REPLIES 3
TomWaltz
Participant
My recommendation has always been:

1) Work through the Archicad Learning Guide from ArchVista to get a general idea (total time: 8 to 12 hours if you are in a hurry, 16 to 20 if you move more normally)
2) Take a classroom training (total time: 2 to 3 days)
3) Read this forum. You will find a huge back log of information. If you have specific questions, you can usually get answers. General ones like "How do I use Archicad?" may not get much, nor will ones that are covered in the basic tutorial ("Where do i set the wall height?").
4) Build a relationship with a reseller or consultant you like. How much should you like them? I hear Link has a fan club....

The first two should get you up and running and be mostly self-sufficient. Number 3 is a nice free fallback.

Beyond that, you will run into brick walls and impasses and it helps to have someone that you know can bail you out quickly if you need something fast or if you are really in a bind. It's nice to know you have the safety net.

There will also be times where you wrap up a project and want to know how you could do the next one more efficiently and you know there's a way, but you need a little guidance.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!
Tom Waltz
Erika Epstein
Booster
Matthew Lohden, one of the premier Archicad teachers is in your town. You will also find him all over this forum. Private message him for some tutoring.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom,

Thank you for your feedback/tips

Ken