BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Transfer surface materials by Attribute Manager in ArchiCAD 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I transferred set of surface materials from one file to another (in different computers) using attribute manager.

Firstly, a folder name 'add pars' gets created alongside the .xml file when I export the surface materials. What exactly is the use of that folder?

Secondly, the texture images linked to the materials wont get transferred although the other settings do. So I had to link the images individually in the 'surface' which is annoying. Is there a easier way to do this?

Thirdly, the orientation of these textures changed automatically even though the settings (including the angle settings in 'surface') are exactly the same. How to solve this?
18 REPLIES 18
Barry Kelly
jkushal wrote:
Firstly, a folder name 'add pars' gets created alongside the .xml file when I export the surface materials. What exactly is the use of that folder?

It seems to be XML files for each individual surface associated with the attribute that you have exported.
I don't know why it is there but I don't think you have to worry about it either - but I could be wrong.

jkushal wrote:
Secondly, the texture images linked to the materials wont get transferred although the other settings do. So I had to link the images individually in the 'surface' which is annoying. Is there a easier way to do this?

The textures are not part of the surface.
They should be in your loaded library.
If you have the same library loaded on the second machine then all should be good when you import the surface materials - the textures should link automatically.

jkushal wrote:
Thirdly, the orientation of these textures changed automatically even though the settings (including the angle settings in 'surface') are exactly the same. How to solve this?

It should be the same as above I think.
There should be no problem so long as you have the same textures in a loaded library.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry.

Regarding my 3rd doubt, I am attaching images of the same furniture in two different computers with same settings. Unable to find why is the orientation / alignment of this texture changes.
Barry Kelly
Are they different objects?
One has arms and the other doesn't.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes they were different. I am now attaching images of the ones which are same.
Barry Kelly
Sorry for asking obvious questions.
Are both of these chairs actually using the same surface material?
If so have you compared the surface material settings on both computers?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Its the same. The only thing thats different is that one computer is using ArchiCAD 23 regular version of USA and other is using ArchiCAD 23 SOLO version of Japan. I guess that shouldnt be the issue though.
Barry Kelly
I am really not sure why this is happening.
The surface materials seem to be the same (certainly the same texture and rotation) but I suspect there is something wrong in that the two files have different attributes or many copies of the same attributes.
The vectorial fill in both has the same name but different number in brackets.
The number in brackets usually meant you have multiple copies of the same attribute (fill) - although this should not be affecting the surface texture.

But as those same surface materials are using different fills, it leads me to believe they are not the same exact surface material.
Have a look in the Attribute Manager to see if they have the same index number.
Maybe they do - I don't know what the problem is.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
That isnt the issue. Anyways thank you !
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you for sharing the issue here and thank you, Barry, for your first thought about this topic!

Am I right to assume that this is a custom surface? It doesn't look like a surface from the default JPN library. If that is the case, I'm wondering if you could share us the 2 PLA files, one where you export and the other where you import the surfaces? This issue definitely needs a closer look from our Technical Support team.

Please reply either here within the post directly or through a PM and I can provide you a secure GRAPHISOFT link where you can upload your file to, if needed!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!