Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Transferring favorites between projects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought it was about time I started to use favourites - getting browned off deleting orange fills and grid fills from objects every time. But there seems little point in setting them up in one project, if you can't easily access them from the next.

I seem to remember someone published a handy guide as to how to do this - but haven't been able to find it using 'Search' Can anyone point me in the right direction?
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
AT the top right of the Favorites palette there is an arrow button. Here you can export and import favorites.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
Keith -

Please check out my short video on the subject:
ArchiCAD Tutorial | The Favorites Palette

I show the quickest ways to work with Favorites, as well as how to transfer them between projects.

In addition, last year I wrote an article for ArchiMAG that discusses some of the things you need to watch out for when you move favorites from one file to another, especially if they have different environments (such as the definitions of composites or materials) or use different libraries (as you would have when you upgrade to later versions of ArchiCAD).

Here is a link to a PDF version of this article:
ArchiCAD Tutorial | Managing the Favorites Palette

Eric
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika -

Aha - one of those sneaky anonymous buttons. Completely missed that one, thanks!

Eric - that's what I remembered. Extremely helpful, thanks very much.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now that I'm using the Favorites palette, I'm wondering if there's a bug in it.

After you select a favorite, the moment you take the mouse away from the palette, the selection disappears. This happens even if you're only going for the pull-down menu (top-right button)

If you keep your nerve, it reappears again (in grey) when you select from the pull-down, and if you double click to insert a favorite in the drawing, the selected favorite appears.

But this is strange behaviour, surely?

(I'm using release 15 now, BTW)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keith wrote:
Now that I'm using the Favorites palette, I'm wondering if there's a bug in it.

After you select a favorite, the moment you take the mouse away from the palette, the selection disappears. This happens even if you're only going for the pull-down menu (top-right button)

If you keep your nerve, it reappears again (in grey) when you select from the pull-down, and if you double click to insert a favorite in the drawing, the selected favorite appears.

But this is strange behaviour, surely?

(I'm using release 15 now, BTW)
Yes it is strange behavior but it is as designed. I believe it's to avoid confusion with the info palette display. When the favorite is selected (highlighted or grey) its settings are displayed in the info palette but otherwise the palette displays the current default tool or selection settings.

Perhaps it would be nice to have a dot or something in front of the last used/selected favorite as a reminder. Once you get used to it it's not too bad though.