Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Transforming Non - Load bearing Element into Load Bearing Element

kdeepaknaik
Participant

Hi all,

I have come to this forum based on the project we received which contains Non-Load Bearing Element as shown below:

The element (Domes in White Colour) Material for our analysis is Fibre Reinforced Polymer.

This model was received as IFC produced out of Archicad.

kdeepaknaik_0-1652926223985.png

Issues Encountered:

1. Based on Research and Query, we understand these Domes were modeled as a Non-Load bearing Curtain Wall. Which has now Translated into IfcBuildingElementProxy in the IFC file.
  2. When tried to import into Structural Analysis Software, it does not recognise as IFC Plate which is the general Norm for BIM Seamless integration. Hence, its not visible or recognisable in any Structural Analysis Software.

Question:

How can we (without breaking our head) transform this element into an Structurally Analysable Element and integrate into our software (which could be STAAD.Pro / SAP2000) ?

If some one could explain a tested and proven Work Flow.

Any Help is appreciated.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

the easiest way is to ask the architects to re-publish the IFC file with these elements set to the correct Structural Function. i don't think you're able to change anything in the IFC model at your end (I could be totally wrong).

to avoid errors such as these, in the future, tell them to "use Graphic Overrides to visually indicate which elements of the building are Loadbearing VS non-Loadbearing". we do that a lot & it's sickeningly quick & easy to spot which elements are loadbearing/non-loadbearing/undefined.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

the easiest way is to ask the architects to re-publish the IFC file with these elements set to the correct Structural Function. i don't think you're able to change anything in the IFC model at your end (I could be totally wrong).

to avoid errors such as these, in the future, tell them to "use Graphic Overrides to visually indicate which elements of the building are Loadbearing VS non-Loadbearing". we do that a lot & it's sickeningly quick & easy to spot which elements are loadbearing/non-loadbearing/undefined.

kdeepaknaik
Participant

Hi Gerry

Thanks for the quick response. Hope that works. I have come across many forums discussing the friction between architect generated IFC which are not achieving the bedrock goals of BIM Flow of Integration between different fields. 

There is a long way to go in achieving that Goal.

good luck -- our firm has only recently started BIM coordination / clash detection works due to a recurring client's request. we're fine with that. we just needed to step things up more, but we've got a long way to go & it helps if everyone is on-board & expectations are discussed as early as possible.