BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trick to do multiple siding on a building façade

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

Need help to take the best method to do multiple siding on a 8 story building.

What we do right now is cutting the exterior wall with different siding but not very efficient.

Help

Thanx
4 REPLIES 4
runxel
Legend
mhoude wrote:
Need help to take the best method to do multiple siding on a 8 story building.

Have a look at this, maybe it helps.

Does it have to be actual geometry, tho?
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
I load a hand design with wall paneling that have different color. what is the best way to do that for 8 story high.
Are you talking about "Siding" or "Panelling"?
Those are two different wall treatments and you image seems to suggest the latter.

And if so, there's a bunch of ways to approach this, depending on your resources and time commitments.

First and most straightforward way might be to use CadImage's great wall covering plugin/addon tool.
I'm not certain if it allows you to specify difference surfaces for different panels, (my guess would be yes), but it's the most inuititive and parametric method available (meaning they update with any changes in your wall.
Of course that entails a cost charge for the actual Addon, but it's useful in other situations beyond just paneling (like siding, for instance)

Secondly, assuming you don't want to spend any money for out of the box solution, then another way would be to draw out your entire patten as a slab arrangement, choose the difference surfaces or material for the different panels, and then convert it into a Morph and rotate it into place.
Obviously this has the drawback that it's not parametric (if you wall or openings change, you have might have to do everything all over again as you don't get any automatic update.

Thirdly, another out-of-the-box solution (more like a workaround) that I would personally use, would be to bite the bullet and use a Curtain wall element to simulate the wall covering.
You can easily design it based on the Curtain wall pattern setting (especially if you have version 22 and above), and you can also more easily update it to match any changes even while it's also not parametric and automated to any changes to the "host" wall. And as long as you do it right, it doesn't matter that it's a curtain wall you're using as it will read correctly both i Elevation and in plan if need be as a wall covering as you need it and you can even easily specify the surfaces and materials as necessary.And you can store any patterns you design as "favourites" and re-use them in other walls or other projects and adjust where necessary.
It's also less memory and resource intensive than using Morphs.

Lastly, you can use Booleans or SEO's (Solid Element Operations) on the wall directly.
Slabs, walls or morphs to act as operators defining the grooves of the panel pattern as well as the custom surface/material panel parts, which are then hidden in a Boolean layer.
This is a kind of in-between solution between the last two situations whereby it's kind of parametric (but not really) and the change is made directly to the wall itself and not as an additional element on top of your wall.
The only drawback is you constantly have to edit or change your operator if you have any changes to the wall and try to keep track of them to make sure everything is up to date.
Actually, another possibly drawback is that booleans can also potentially be memory intensive depending on the complexity of your pattern.

All of which is why I would personally just use a Curtain Wall tool, which actually most closely mimics how it would be built in real life anyway.

Other folks might chime in with other ideas, but off the top of my head, that's what I'd do.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a custom home builder, we do have some homes with vertical siding then horizontal. Anywho, I use Shoegnome's complex siding idea. I do it for vertical metal, horizontal hardboard, etc.

http://www.shoegnome.com/2014/01/08/archicad-video-complex-profile-siding/
Learn and get certified!