BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trim top of wall

Beginner
Participant

Beginner_0-1665223370847.png
I would like to trim the walls as shown in the picture. I can't trim them to the roof as they  go further up than the roof.

Hope someone can help me to the right, and hopefully easy method. I am new to Archicad, but have experience from Revit.

23 REPLIES 23
Bob Moore
Enthusiast

I've always used the "Fake Wall" on top of the parapet as the coping or wall cap. The top of the wall should never be exposed.

AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB

I meant to say Fake Roof not wall.

AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Here is my solution.

I was looking for an element that can be associated to the Roof slope, we can set its height relative to the Roof  top surface, and can trim the top of the Wall.

This is possible to do using a Railing composed of a single Toprail (which can be even Profiled). We can place it associated to the Nodes of the Roof outline, we can specify how high it is above the associated Roof Planes, and then we can use it as a SEO operator to cut off the top of the Wall. It can have the same Surface as the Wall or a different Surface. Also, the Railing can be placed on a separate and hidden if needed. If we change the Roof geometry it will update its position since it is associated to it.

LaszloNagy_0-1665436697076.png

I found only two issues:

1. If we change the Roof pitch the Railing reference line node associated to the Ridge will not stay associated and needs to be adjusted.

2. If the "Wall Top" Railing has the same Surface as the Wall below it, their Textures' orientation may not align. I would circumvent this by making the height thickness of the Railing very small (less than 10 mm) so its texture would not be visible very much.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
mthd
Ace

All these methods above are very good and have applications in many situations.

I searched and found yet another method online that would also be applicable with a fancy formed pediment.

This method uses the morph tool and SEO’s to sculpture a gable wall that extends above the roof.

This video is 9 years old but it’s a great method and shows what else can be done right inside Archicad.

I would consider using this method in certain situations if applicable ?

https://youtu.be/v0l8UulwyOA

Have fun !

Edit: Another excellent video by Eric Bobrow on using the morph tool to create a facade and molding trim.

https://youtu.be/_EGdK-D7zXY

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Learn and get certified!