BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trim vs SEO

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

What's the best practice between when to use the Trim tool and when to use SEO? They seem to do in principal the same thing. Does one tool have better usage in certain situations than the other and vice versa?

I tend to use SEO for all operations as I have not discovered a scenario where Trim would be better suited.

Thanks,
Ben
3 REPLIES 3
Eduardo Rolon
TRIM does not maintain a "live connection" between the objects which SEOs do. Therefore you should always use TRIM unless there is a specific reason to do SEO since your file might slow down.
AC is pretty efficient with its models so you might not see a slow down in many projects but just to be safe if you should only use SEOs when there are no other options available. Using TRIM also simplifies layer management since you don't have to keep track of the SEO layer.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi ejrolon
Can you explain what you mean by the "live connection"? When I use the TRIM tool (e.g. trimming 4 walls to a skillion roof above) it seems to be "live", in the sense that if I move the roof upwards or downwards, the walls are still getting trimmed to the new roof level.
Eduardo Rolon
You didn't specify "TRIM" to what.
In the case of Roofs both do basically the same thing so use the one you like best.

When I started using AC the TRIM to roof command was not live so if the roof changed then the walls didn't so I got used to using SEOs since then.

I was referring to trimming other elements like walls, slabs, etc vs using SEOs for them.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!