Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Troubles with railing when connecting multiple stairs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anyone else having problems when their railing is associated to multiple stairs/multiple floors? I have a three story building and have a railing that is associated to the 2 stairs as well as the 2nd floor landing. My primary issue is that I can't for the life of me seem to get the floor plan symbols to work properly. On the 3rd floor, the only option that works is the "below break mark visible" and that will show the ENTIRE railing (including what is happening at the 1st floor). Similarly, on the 2nd floor it is either wanting to show everything above the 2nd floor break or show the entire railing below the break. Am I missing something? You should be able to show only what you would actually see at each floor level...

Also, has anyone discovered a way to extend a handrail at only one end?
5 REPLIES 5
alemanda
Advocate
You're not the only one having trouble with railing tool.
I got some issues in the floor plan representation too in a simpler situation.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Barry Kelly
Post moved.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
MoMarti
Contributor
Hi Adrienne,
Can you post a 3D view and floor plans of this stair? I will try to help you with this...
Marta
AdrienneB wrote:
Is anyone else having problems when their railing is associated to multiple stairs/multiple floors? I have a three story building and have a railing that is associated to the 2 stairs as well as the 2nd floor landing. My primary issue is that I can't for the life of me seem to get the floor plan symbols to work properly. On the 3rd floor, the only option that works is the "below break mark visible" and that will show the ENTIRE railing (including what is happening at the 1st floor). Similarly, on the 2nd floor it is either wanting to show everything above the 2nd floor break or show the entire railing below the break. Am I missing something? You should be able to show only what you would actually see at each floor level...
MoMarti
Contributor
Hi Adrienne,

When you set up extension for any rail, it will create it for both end. After you placed your rail in the model, you have to select your rail, enter into Edit Mode and select the end you don't want to extend and revert it back to zero.
The same steps apply for situations where the two ending lengths are different...

The design/thought behind this is the following:
The railing has an orientation which comes from the input: when you click at the bottom of a stair, it will be it's 1st point, then when you click on the top of a stair, becomes the 2nd and then when you keep clicking, on a slab for example, it will become the 3rd point... and so on... When placing a rail with magic wand, it does matter which part of the stair you clicked: if you click closer to the bottom of a stair the bottom will be the 1st=starting point of the rail (so rail runs upwards), but if you click closer to the top of a stair the top will be the 1st=starting point of the rail (so rail runs downwards)... and so on. So you can see how many things can influence a railing and its orientation.
Before you place a rail or when you use a favourite, you don't know which end will be at the bottom or on the top of your stair, so you only know the two end after input... therefore we decided not to put anything onto the interface about this. BUT after input it is very easy to create a design you want in Edit Mode.

Hope all make sense and acceptable for you.

Marta
AdrienneB wrote:
Also, has anyone discovered a way to extend a handrail at only one end?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Marta, I gave that a try and it worked! I also tried extending the entire rail 1' past the bottom tread which seemed to give the correct representation.

Attached are some views of the stair and the rail per your previous comment. Hopefully we can figure out the representation issue!