BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Turning on and off layer clears undo history

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it a confirmed bug that (sometimes) turning ON and OFF a layer clears the undo history? Anyone had this happen?
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
benjamin_chan wrote:
Anyone had this happen?

Is this in plan or elevation?

I just tried and I am not seeing it in plan, but I do in elevation - sometimes.
But only for one particular layer (I haven't tested them all).
Draw a line, turn the layer off, OK, turn the layer on and undo does not work.
But if I do the same thing in another layer it is fine - undo works.
Go back to the first layer and it doesn't work again.

A mystery it seems.

It could just be that there is something in that layer that forces a re-build when it is turned on.
If you re-build an elevation, the undo queue is lost.

That is why I asked if your problem is in an elevation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it happened to me in a section. However only intermittently so I'm not sure what the pattern is, but I suspect what you're saying is right (as in if it forces a re-build then the undo history is lost, which is annoying)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all,

Thank you for reporting the issue and I am sorry about the experience!

Thanks to Barry's description, last night I managed to replicate the issue on one of my large project files. It seems true that if turning layers on/off triggering a Rebuild, the Undo queue will be cleared. But since then, whenever I tried to record the issue for further investigation, unfortunately, I cannot make it happen anymore, even with bigger files, different machines and so on!

I would be extremely grateful if any of you could help me with recording this issue. For some reason, it wants to avoid me somehow!

I'll try again when I have time to see if I can catch it. Once we have the evidence, I may have something to ask the developer about!

Wish you all a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Barry Kelly
Sorry, it took me a while to get back to this.

It seems if you turn off a layer (when in section or elevation) that has a 3D element in it, that forces a rebuild of the model, and hence deletes the undo queue.
If the layer you are turning of does not have any 3D elements (if it contains 2D elements there is no problem), the undo queue is not deleted.

I guess this does not happen in plan as that is just a 2D representation?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Barry,

That’s exactly what I tested earlier, which is to hide a layer with the most 3D elements in the current section. Many times, I couldn’t achieve it.

I tried it again today. Finally, I caught it on camera ! I will forward it to our Technical Support team for further investigation, but I must say, I’m not really sure if we can find a bug from it, as it is very very hard to reproduce.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

I have finally got a word from the developer. It's likely a problem with the QuickLayers add-on or the ARCHICAD API it uses to modify layers. We have entered it as a defect into our system for further investigation. Thank you once again for raising the issue!

I wish you a great week, and stay safe!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Barry Kelly
mnguyen wrote:
It's likely a problem with the QuickLayers add-on or the ARCHICAD API it uses to modify layers.
Hi Minh,
I don’t think it has anything to do with the quick layers add-on, as I wasn’t using that.
I think it is just because a 3D element is being modified which forces a rebuild.
And a rebuild in sections and elevations means the undo queue is deleted.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Barry,

That’s what I initially thought, but given the fact that I cannot reproduce the issue by turning layers on/off using the Layers dialog, and can rarely reproduce it via Quick Layers palette, I cannot do anything further. As I mentioned, unless I can find a stable way to reproduce it, or at least have it on record, I can’t enter it as a defect, unfortunately

I understand the frustration though! I keep trying and trying, but have no luck in catching the bug

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Barry Kelly
Very easy to reproduce.
Open new template.
Place some walls in a walls layer.
Some slabs in a slab layer.
Open elevation 1 and add some text in a text layer and more text in a label layer.

Move any text and you can undo it.
Move text in text layer and turn off label layer - you can still undo the move.
Move text in the text layer and turn of the slab or wall layer - you can not undo the move.

It seems turning off a layer with a 3D element forces a rebuild of the elevation and deletes the undo queue.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!