Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

U-shaped Stairs with diagonal steps in rests

Anonymous
Not applicable
The attachment shows 3 stairs applied to compose one U-shaped stair.
The reason why I can not use the U-shaped provided Stair is that I can not split the resting corners into to have diagonal steps.

So I have created 2 normal stairs plus 1 circula stair, which is not exactly the same as it will be in the reality.

The problem here is that the circular shaped stair is crossing the wall and I can't find a way to hide this from the planview.
Do you know how can I solve this?

PD: Why is it that stairs don't just follow a polyline?
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
jacobidiego wrote:
The problem here is that the circular shaped stair is crossing the wall and I can't find a way to hide this from the planview.
Do you know how can I solve this?
Ethier use fill to hide what you want to (juggle display order so stairs are behind the fill and the fill is behind everything else) or hide the stair in a layer that is only shown in 3D and sections. Then draw the stairs in plan with lines.

Use Solid Element Operations with slabs to cut the stair in 3D (SEO does not show in plan so you still have to do the above work-around).

jacobidiego wrote:
PD: Why is it that stairs don't just follow a polyline?
Make a wish in the wishes section of the forum - you never know what might happen.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I fixed it simpler... removed the circled stair and placed 4 slabs to simulate steps... however it doesnt follows the stair look and feel
Barry Kelly
Use the slabs in a layer that only show in 3D, sections and elevations.
Hide the layer in plan and draw the steps how you want them with lines.
This is not the ideal solution (that is to have a stair do exactly as you want) but sometimes you have to resort to this.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Use the slabs in a layer that only show in 3D, sections and elevations.
Hide the layer in plan and draw the steps how you want them with lines.
This is not the ideal solution (that is to have a stair do exactly as you want) but sometimes you have to resort to this.
Uff, I have done that several times in my time working in Archicad, and that is one of the reasons why I made these wishes
To have a better way to build the stair http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=54896

And to avoid having a lot of extra layers in a project working with workarounds like this http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=51595 (for this we now have GO in AC20 but still missing the option to hide and show elements by view or based in something else that is not only layers)