Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

URGENT! help needed, dwg convert to 3ds

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to import 3d DWG models into ArchiCAD, or better convert them into 3ds format so I can use the plug-in and keep materials. Those are not so complicated bathroom accessories and I tried File->Open Object->DWG but it does not preserve 3d data (no 3d object is created). Also importing it into SketchUp does not work properly - objects loose some faces. I looked for some DWG-3DS converter but with no luck, so I would be VERY GRATEFUL if someone can point me to the right converter, right conersion settings or even better, save those files as a 3ds. I'm running very low on time and are rather desperate . Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Djordje
Ace
tigr wrote:
I need to import 3d DWG models into ArchiCAD, or better convert them into 3ds format so I can use the plug-in and keep materials. Those are not so complicated bathroom accessories and I tried File->Open Object->DWG but it does not preserve 3d data (no 3d object is created). Also importing it into SketchUp does not work properly - objects loose some faces. I looked for some DWG-3DS converter but with no luck, so I would be VERY GRATEFUL if someone can point me to the right converter, right conersion settings or even better, save those files as a 3ds. I'm running very low on time and are rather desperate . Thanks in advance.
Short of finding a handy Autocad lying around, I really don't know ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Djordje for trying.
I easly start to blame ArchiCAD that after so many improvents it still cannot handle DWG properly but even Cinema4D cannot open it, so it has to be something nasty with the file. Sad thing is that I can open it with Autodesk DWG TrueView without the glitch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try opening it in Max and then export it to 3ds.
Or in Autocad and then export as 3ds.
I have achieved good results with DeepExploration, which is not just a viewer, but can also convert into diffrent file formats.

If you do not have these applications, send your file to me and I will try to convert it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Kliment, I appreciate it. Will PM you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Pawel,

I am sorry I will have to disappoint you! The kind of conversion you (and me) imagine is impossible! And this is ArchiCAD's fault , not AutoCAD's!

ArchiCAD cannot separate different materials when it imports objects from any other file format - neither dwg, nor 3ds! For example the sink tith the tap consists of two objects/materials - the tap and the sink. I have separated them both in the 3ds and dwg files, but when they are imported in AC, they become one object! The 3D Script consists of description of about 1200 planes and edges and it is almost impossible to separate them!

There is one more glitch I found - when dwg is imported, it preserves the original geometry ot objects, while if 3ds is imported, AC smooths everything, even the most sharp edges!

I am deeply disappointed from AC!
hell.gif
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Kliment,

First of all I would be happy just to import those without missing faces/polygons. If you cannot separate materials than I can live with that too. I will render this from Maxwell where I can paint single faces, or I will just cover such things like taps with new one or post-work it.
There is one more glitch I found - when dwg is imported, it preserves the original geometry ot objects, while if 3ds is imported, AC smooths everything, even the most sharp edges!
Did you use 3ds import plug-in ?, there is "force smooth" option be unchecked. If you do and it still does than fine, it is actually smooth object after all.

You can drop the shower door/screen walls if they make problems. I can easly model those in AC. Curved object like bathtubes, toilets and bidets are the ones I'm after.

I think proper 3ds files are the ones I could do most with (for example modify it with SketchUp)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I used the plug-in (Is there any other way?). Force smooth is unchecked and and still AC smooths everything.

I will try to send you the models today
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Kliment, your patience is greater than mine.