Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Unable to Import DWG

ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

So simple, I know!

Have a bunch of DWG files, trying to import into AC 24, Mac.

Have the DWG add-on.

Tried dragging and dropping the file in, placing external content, and opening directly.

When opening directly AC startup dialog appears and then goes away, no file opens.

DWG files from surveyor.

11 REPLIES 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Have you tried backsaving the DWG? Importer might not accept the latest version?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

How do you backsave?

Lingwisyer
Guru

Open the drawing in something like Autodesk TrueView, which can be downloaded for free if you do not have access to AutoCAD, then use the DWG Convert option.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
DGSketcher
Legend

@ethanbodnar just ask the surveyor to reissue the DWG in an earlier version. If that fails there may be a problem with the surveyors software export process. Has anyone tried opening the file in native  autocad?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Try viewing the various renewal styles

Miha_M
Advisor

You can send us a link to this file and we could try to open it on windows in Archicad and/or any other .dwg friendly software. I assume it is either a corrupt file or some new version which is not supported. Saving it in an earlier version in DWG Trueview as @Lingwisyer said should solve the version problem.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Johny_4878
Newcomer

Try to open it in AutoCAD or to reissue the DWG in an earlier version these are 100% working methods.

Best wishes, John, web-designer, WorkTime

ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
  • Can't use True View, since I'm on Mac, looks like they only make for Windows.
  • But Autodesk Viewer online works and the files look fine when viewed there.

If I'm running Archicad 24, what version of a DWG file should I ask the surveyor for? Just trying to keep it professional and look like I know what I'm doing with this surveyor, ha. 

Thank you all so much!

Maybe an online converter could do the job. I haven't tried those myself, so I don't know how and if they work, but it's worth a try. There are loads of them out there. I'd go for 2010 dwg version. Here are a few I found with a quick search:

DWG Converter | CloudConvert

Convert to DWG (online-convert.com)

Convert CAD to a different version (Free & Online) - PDF2everthing (pdf2everything.com)

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11