Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Understanding Railing Floor Plan Display options

Bill
Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to learn how to use the new railing tool. Some questions that I have been struggling with:

1) I construct a simple rail along a single flight stair. I select "Show on Home and One Story Up." Which of the toggles controls the upper story, "Above Relevant Story," Relevant-Top Story," or "Relevant-Middle Story"?

2) For a simple railing like the one I describe, which story is considered the "relevant" story for all these options?

3) Is there a graphic somewhere that easily shows/explains the differences between all the Floor Plan Display Layout Options? I have been playing around with them for a while and their naming is just not intuitive to me.

4. Specifically, one setting that I am trying to achieve is for the upper story to show the upper section, then a breakline, then have the lower section be invisible... however, none of of the layout options seem to offer this, so I either get the entire rail, or nothing. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the responses! This is a pretty powerful tool, but it's definitely taking some time to wrap my head around.

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cannot get top rail to display display w ith railing tool in plan or 3d.
Cannot get 'posts' to turn off on rails that are to be hand rail only.
I have a stray insert point on a rail that is in the wrong Z height. I cannot correct, entire rail moves .
Any help wold be appreciated,
Rick
Archicad v. 22 MacOS
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is a clip on the ARCHICAD Youtube Channel. It will give you a good understanding about the Floor Plan Display Settings of Raiings:

If you still have questions after understanding the clip, please ask here.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Bill
Contributor
Laszlo,

Thanks for the link to the vid! Very helpful... turned out that 1) the symbol pen and line overrides were on, and 2) the hidden elements were set to a solid line... once those were changed I was able to get the railing to display properly, thanks!

Bill b
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
Bruce
Expert
So a simple round handrail with ends turned down...how do you get it to display properly in plan? It seems to only want to show a square end.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Bruce
Expert
A couple of images will help explain...
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am afraid the 2D of Railings provide only a symbolic representation, not a true 3D projection of the Railing from above. You may post a wish about it if you think this would be important. If you do, please post the link of the wish in this thread.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
LaszloNagy wrote:
I am afraid the 2D of Railings provide only a symbolic representation, not a true 3D projection of the Railing from above. You may post a wish about it if you think this would be important. If you do, please post the link of the wish in this thread.
Yes this is a real problem.
Even the display order of the plan view is wrong.
A hand rail above a large lower rail does not show as above in plan.
This has been reported to GS.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11