BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Unicode (multilangual) characters in GDL scripts

Sam Karli
Enthusiast
Hi,
I can't insert a single Unicode character (⌀, phi, representing the diameter) into a round window's dimensioning.

I tried it some ways, played around different fonts, tried to write into the GDL script, it didn't work (although it's not clear frm the GDL manual how to give a Unicode char to a string variable), tried to enter it as a parameter of the GDL, and so.

How can I do it?
GDL/Python/C++ dev
3 REPLIES 3
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

If I were you, I'd simply use 'phi' in English:) Or insert an image if it's the visual interface...

Jokes aside, GDL is fully unicode in itself and all scripts are interpreted in unicode. The problem is, that the user interface of ArchiCAD isn't in unicode yet. This means that you are simply not able to enter Greek characters on a Hungarian or on an English system (and AC of course). If you really want to have characters of other codepages in your scripts, you can insert them in the XML format of library parts and convert them to GSM. This won't help you much though in the user interface as it isn't unicode.

Regs,
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Sam Karli
Enthusiast
It would help completely, because I would make a boolean variable that is ture when a window is rounded and therefore the phi sign is needed, but I haven't seen a working example of such an Unicode string or a working Unicode character insterted into a GDL script, I think the Manual lacks it.

So please, share the solltution with me,
Köszi előre is
GDL/Python/C++ dev
Barry Kelly
You might not be able to use unicode characters but you can use any of the standard characters with their ASCII code.

ALT0216 = Ø

Is this what you want to show?
The code for this was simply ... text2 0,0,STR(a*1000,2,0) + " Ø"

Barry.
diameter.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum