BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Update Object in Elevation

derekjackson
Advocate
Hi,
I've made an object that displays 2D people silhouettes in 3D and elevation.

It works really well, other than the fact that it won't turn to face the elevation.

I've put in code to turn the object to face the camera, so they rotate fine in 3D.

Unfortunately in elevation, they face the direction of the last 3D viewpoint used, so appear skewed most of the time.

Is there a line of code I can put in to automatically re-calculate the angle of the object so that it faces each elevation in turn, whenever I rebuild the elevation?
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
derek:

I don't know if this will work (I have not tried), but you could look at the Global Variable GLOB_CONTEXT which can recognize which window the object is in:
1-library part editor, 2-floor plan, 3-3D view, 4-section/elevation, ...

HTH,

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
derekjackson
Advocate
Hi David,
thanks for the suggestion. I'm already using that as a way to control when the plane is being shown (as I want the people to look different in plan).

The issue is more with forcing an update than when it's displayed.

Derek
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Derek:

I'm pretty sure there is no Global Variable for Elevation direction (so the Object knows which elevation is currently being used), so there is no way to turn the Object to face the last used (rebuilt) elevation.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
derekjackson
Advocate
I guess I'm not after an elevational code as such - more something just to get it to recalculate / refresh / rebuild?

It seems that when I try my object and first place it and view an elevation, the object looks fine. It's then only when I view it in a second elevation that it appears skewed.

So what I need to do is to force the object to redo whatever process it first did when the first elevation was viewed, thus re-orienting the object to the new elevation. Something like the code to rotate an object to face the camera in 3D view.

If this can't be done then fair enough! Shame, as some really handy object could be made otherwise...
Learn and get certified!