Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Update to 20 or wait for 21?

Brad Elliott
Booster
For various reasons I haven't upgraded to AC 20 yet. I now have a window where I could make the change but traditionally the updates come out in Mid June to early July which is only 8-10 weeks away. It also seems like 20 has been a bit buggy. So I'm asking those who have made the jump, should I wait?
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
I am in the process of changing to 20 now.
I figure I could wait for 21 but I don't like to use the first release because as you say it can be buggy.
By the time 21 settles down it will still be maybe 6 months?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
I jumped from 17 to 19, and was in 19 only briefly before moving on to 20. It felt like the biggest jump by far was from 19 to 20. My perception is that 20 is pretty stable now -- not perfect, but stable, and I REALLY like 20 better than any past release. It's taken me some time to feel fully comfortable with the new interface. I think it's worth the upgrade for the added Properties and Favorites features, which you can appreciate very quickly. However, in the long-run, Graphic Overrides probably are going to be the biggie going forward for you, and it will take some time to wrap your head around this concept, which I sometimes still struggle with a bit.

If you have a good window to upgrade now, my advice would be to go for it so that you can spread the learning curve over two releases, which will be far less painful. 19 to 20 was pretty painful as it was, and I wouldn't want to add the learning curve of 21's features on top of that.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
DGSketcher
Legend
I skipped 16 and suffered for it. Took quite a while to catch up on the changes. If you have the time to spare at least load it up and play with it. Go through the what's new even if it isn't on a live project. GS seem to be taking some big steps these days and it takes me about a year to firmly grasp most of the new changes. Even then I think we've all discovered something that has been there since several releases previous.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Brad Elliott
Booster
Thanks for the advise. IT sounds like this is a big enough step that I don't want to skip it. And as Barry mentioned I can always delay 21 as I catch up.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro