BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Upgrading to AC10

Anonymous
Not applicable
What feature would make you want to upgrade to AC10? For me it would be a major overhaul in the calculation interface.
13 REPLIES 13
TomWaltz
Participant
They call it 9.1, and make it a free upgrade like 8.1 was.....
Tom Waltz
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Seems like a post that belongs to the wish list , although if it was posted there I wouldn't read it.
I just came from a presentation of allpan 2005 in our city (Thessaloniki).
Nemetschek made a very strong open to our city (1,200,000 inhabitants)by sending their Eastern Europe representative.They offered to everyone a 1-month full working demo and they are really interested in establishing a network for education of their application in our city.

By looking at Allplan I realised that there is a lack of modeling tools in ArchiCAD:

Custom shape columns -beams-walls (user defined profiles)
Free stretch of every wall node in plan or elevation.
Different height for each layer of a composite wall (very Basic IMHO!)
Custom shaped doors windows
and much more....

Some of these function can be achieved with addons in ArciCAD but not all of them. And it is a big difference when you have them as a standard in a 3300€ application and not in a 4700 € .

On the other side I believe that the way Allplan handles the virtual building is very native comparing to ArchiCADs way . I talk about Navigator, Viewsets , Plotmaker, sections, details etc. This is a part of Archicad that I feel there is no need to change not just in version 10 but to version 23!

To conclude I agree with Millard regarding the calculation menu, but one needs to draw parts (or model?) and then calculate them.

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
They call it 9.1, and make it a free upgrade like 8.1 was.....
That would be great if it was!

I was trying to figure out with the new Macintel alliance, what would it take to keep me from skipping the next version of archicad and waiting for the Macintel version. I'm assuming that graphisoft is on board to make the switch.
Actually, a rework of the calculation menu might not be even enough to keep me from skipping the next upgrade. However, pricing policies might.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This harkens back to previous wish that archicad would have the ability to be able to open multiple views simultaneously: plans, reflected ceiling plans, section/elevations, 3d etc. All updating with each change and no rebuilding of views. Although I don't think that this means a refinement of what we are using now. It would be a major change. These changes will eventually need to be made.

Mark Gillis
architect

Gillis + Looney architects
archicad 9.0
OSX
XP
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish AC10 is a REAL upgrade. NOt like AC9.

I also wish that AC10 opens new horizons to all of us.
Not just a couple of patches.

To give an example i wish AC10 is such an upgrade as was Win95 to DOS!
TomWaltz
Participant
To give an example i wish AC10 is such an upgrade as was Win95 to DOS! Smile
You thought Win95 was an improvement??? Please, let's set higher standards for GS than that!!
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz wrote:
improvement?
Like NT4 to OS9.

James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
Millard wrote:
What feature would make you want to upgrade to AC10? For me it would be a major overhaul in the calculation interface.
A DECENT PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE !!!!!!
This is the only thing that will make my choice to continue or not with AC.
Old rant, but i can't accept to pay MORE THAN TWICE the US price, for the same soft.
Karl Ottenstein
Olivier wrote:
Old rant, but i can't accept to pay MORE THAN TWICE the US price, for the same soft.
I continue to be amazed at the pricing differences around the world, Olivier.

I visited the MAD site in Finland yesterday to learn about some of their add-ons and noticed their ArchiCAD pricing: works out to about $8,000 US, not including VAT ... nearly $10,000 US with VAT for a single license!! Of course, the dollar has recently strengthened a little against the Euro, or else the amount would be even more in US dollars. And we pay $3,950 here, plus some small sales tax that varies by state and can be as low as zero.

I suppose the flip side of this is to invite everyone from around the world to workshops here in the US, such as the 4 day retreat in Yosemite National Park:
http://www.hightechhighnature.com/

Even with $2,000 US tuition, room, board, bus transportation plus airfare, if someone bought a US license while here, the entire trip plus intensive training still costs less than a single license in Europe!

[No, I'm not completely serious. Well, I'm serious about inviting everyone to come. But, seriously, how can someone in Europe justify a cost of Euro 8,000 (almost US $10,000) and $1,200 upgrades for a young practice or per seat in a large practice based on the widely disparate (and very low in some countries) wages there?]

Regards,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!