Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Upgrading to ArchiCAD V13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my support subscription invoice has just arrived so with the current state of the economy I had to check, Is the upgrade to version 13 worth me having.

I checked with my reseller who said the only thing he can tell me is that ArchiCAD 13 will have better team work. That would be fine if I was a large practice, but I am not. So for now ArchiCAD 12 will do just fine and I can save the money.

Unless there is a significant improvement in the tools why bother?
111 REPLIES 111
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be interesting to know if AC 13 will at least be "grand central dispatch" compatible. I am not a programmer so I don't know if GCD needs specific programming (in Coca) or if it also achieves the results "on its own" with a Carbon program. From what I have seen on the internet GCD actually manages threads on its own distributing them on the cores.

64bit would be welcome because it is indeed true that many current AC users don't exceed the 4GB RAM, but if it takes GS more than a year then many computers will actually be equipped with more than 4GB RAM. I appreciate the informative and open answer which was provided and hope GS surprises us with a Hotfix release that makes AC GCD compliant (although I am not holding my breath to it). Maybe AC should take more than 12 months and focus on a complete rewrite of AC for Mac OSX. I wouldn't mind waiting a little while longer if it means:
- new GUI
- redesigned and easier workflow
- increased performance

On the other hand I am also aware that the raw speed increase benefits (which will be possible with Snow Leopard's newly introduced technologies) will be of more benefit for rendering apps (Artlantis) than AC.

Finally, I hope GS will take the time to make AC fully OSX "future proof" and, in the process, takes the time to review AC as a software to make it better (there's always room for improvement after all, even on a beautiful software like AC).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gosh, to be young again and damned-sure about the unknown future, ah the halcyon days!