BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Upgrading to ArchiCAD V13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my support subscription invoice has just arrived so with the current state of the economy I had to check, Is the upgrade to version 13 worth me having.

I checked with my reseller who said the only thing he can tell me is that ArchiCAD 13 will have better team work. That would be fine if I was a large practice, but I am not. So for now ArchiCAD 12 will do just fine and I can save the money.

Unless there is a significant improvement in the tools why bother?
111 REPLIES 111
Karl Ottenstein
Erika wrote:
No cable, I am not a TV person. I have DSL and testing my connection just now
Download is 2.51 megabits
Upload is 0.32 Megabits
Sorry for posting incorrect info, Erika. Wonder what other facts I've got wrong!! 🙂

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
ares997 wrote:
...The issue is really SNOW LEOPARD which is already causing some problems with AC12. .... Has GS ever served you something that wasn't worthy of usage. Are you so spoiled that you have to have everything right now.

Why do you think the release was scheduled on the 1st ironically enough right after SNOW LEOPARD. Do you think that was just happen stance....
Ares997,

Frankly, your gushing posts are really getting irritating. We have no idea who you are - you appeared out of nowhere - and you have become the evangelist for the emperor's new clothes - for indeed, 13 has not been released yet and you were not a beta tester and AFAIK have no experience with it.

We have no idea how many years of experience you have with ArchiCAD even, but clearly you were not around when version 8.0 was released for you to believe that GS has always delivered a superb product.

No, the announcement date had nothing to do with Snow Leopard, nor is Snow Leopard the cause of any "problems" that resulted in the AC 13 delivery schedule. I have no idea where you are getting your 'facts'.

Please take a breath and think about whether your future posts are emotion-based or fact-based before you click 'submit'. Post what you will, of course, but I assume you want to be taken seriously.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Christiaan wrote:
Is the ArchiCAD 13 NET Licence the one that allows licence borrowing? Or is that just a normal local network floating licence?
That's the normal floating LAN license. Look for the word 'Codemeter' for the new license scheme.

Cheers,
Karl
owen
Newcomer
Karl wrote:
Erika wrote:
No cable, I am not a TV person. I have DSL and testing my connection just now
Download is 2.51 megabits
Upload is 0.32 Megabits
Sorry for posting incorrect info, Erika. Wonder what other facts I've got wrong!! 🙂

Karl
ArchiCAD 13?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
owen
Newcomer
Karl wrote:
Please take a breath and think about whether your future posts are emotion-based or fact-based before you click 'submit'. Post what you will, of course, but I assume you want to be taken seriously
Thanks Karl. Thats what i wanted to say but didnt as i would not have put it quite as .. diplomatically .. as you did. And coming from you it actually carries some weight.

(not saying i am guilt-free regarding emotion-based posting at times .. but hey sometimes AC just pisses me off and you've gotta vent it somewhere other than with the guy sitting next to you. But most of the time it doesn't)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Thomas Holm
Booster
owen wrote:
As for GS delivering something that was sub-par .. ArchiCAD 8.1 ??
The sub-par release was 8.0.
8.1 fixed it!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
owen
Newcomer
Thomas wrote:
owen wrote:
As for GS delivering something that was sub-par .. ArchiCAD 8.1 ??
The sub-par release was 8.0.
8.1 fixed it!
haha yes quite right Thomas .. guess i tried to wipe that whole AC period from my memory
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Jefferson
Participant
Very interesting reading, as usual, surrounding upgrades and parting with our increasingly difficult to come by dollar$. The upgrade has something of value, more for some, not so much to none for others and completely debatable, see the previous 9 pages...........

One thing's clear, STILL, the subscription is a sucker punch!! I sympathize but the difference is you saw it coming. First time shame on them, second time, stop whining, take your lumps, cancel it, and pull your head outta your a.....

NO ONE MAKES YOU BUY ANYTHING! I'll continue upgrading when it's worthwhile, for my practice. In the meantime work with what I've got, or work around as the case may be, purchase add-ons that make my life easier, [see Objective!, http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html ], and concentrate on making a living. How novel.........

And finally, I very much appreciate any and all the efforts the beta-testers put in on new releases. It is thankless and frustrating, and without their efforts we'd screwed. We all owe them at least common respect and courtesy.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Beta tester here. I just want to confirm what others have said. In exchange for week after week of reloading, reconfiguring and retesting we get the rare pleasure to dialog with the developers of software that has become probably a too important part of our lives and profession practices. And while we all attempt to maintain a professional atmosphere don’t think for a second that those discussion are candy coated or watered down in the least.

Since the feature set is largely locked at the beginning of the test the first thing Graphisoft gets to hear is a raft of sh*t on their choice of what to include and, more vehemently, what was left out. Everyone has their personal list of things that should have been fixed a decade earlier. This year I unloaded on them over a couple pet peeves and the ridiculous naming of one of the new features. After we get that out of our systems we go about the task of making the chosen features work as well as possible.

For something that’s based on the unwavering exactness of digital data software design remains as much art as science. There is no doubt that Graphisoft marches to the beat of different drummer. For that we should be thankful. If you want a real example of corporate blindness and a year’s efforts wasted just look at the disastrous result of Autodesk’s myopic cobbling of the MS Office ribbon UI on to Revit.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
ares997
Contributor
Archicad 25 (5005), Windows 11, AMD RYZEN 7 3900 (64 GB RAM)
Learn and get certified!