BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

User Origin Snap

Anonymous
Not applicable
can you establish a user origin as working point, then once you have selected an element, snap to that point with out actually going over it....
5 REPLIES 5
TomWaltz
Participant
Most commands like drag, rotate, etc, ask for an insertion point.

If you want to use your origin as that insertion point, then your idea would work. If you pick an insertion point for the element, the origin is reset to be the insertion point. You would have to place the User Origin after you picked the insertion point.

I've fought a lot with user origins, especially in regards to Marquee stretching, and they act really strangely sometimes!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
maybe this will help....I am selecting the line...performing a rotate by selecting the center with out actually having my cursor go over area circled in green.....then selecting the mid point with my cursor...
userorg.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
see the issue is I am working on a large plan...so when I select an element, I have to zoom out to repick my origin point, so I am looking for a quicker way to do this....
TomWaltz
Participant
r wrote:
see the issue is I am working on a large plan...so when I select an element, I have to zoom out to repick my origin point, so I am looking for a quicker way to do this....
That's what I suspected. I've often placed hotspots to retain a point that can be annoying to find (like a circle center), but have not found any way to make a user origin "stick" like that.

I would be kind of nice, though.....
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Once you've set your user origin, selected the objects you want to edit, select the edit command you want, type x0 y0 (enter) and your user origin will be selected as the first point of editing, be it copy, drag, rotate, etc. I just did a test to see that this worked, and it didn't seem to matter if delta button was up or down, still went to the user origin I had set o.k.
Hope this makes sense.
Learn and get certified!