BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Using DropBox in Archicad in lieu of a TW function?

rob2218
Enthusiast
How many of you are using DropBox (the Business account) as a server in lieu of using a Teamwork server for your Archicad projects?
AC18 I'm using, latest build.

I have an architect who is doing this. He is on the MAC, I'm on the PC. We are trying to collaborate and I just wanted to know if any others have done this setup?

Supposedly, you simply "open" the PLN from the DropBox folder in your Explorer list of folders and projects.....is that right?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You can also use the line tool to draw walls.

This is sadly a common workflow for those who have not yet discovered the power of teamwork or are to afraid/overwhelmed to deal with setting it up.

You can open up a solo project in your explorer window like you said, but only one person can do it at a time and it's only one step better than emailing each other the file.

Get onto Teamwork and move on. Teamwork also has the benefit of better backups and library management.

Cheers,
Link.
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks for your (#@#$) input.
Thing you failed to understand is the one Golden Rule: "He who has the gold RULES".

I'm not the one setting up this collaboration, the client is and I have to follow 'his' lead on this.

Yes, I'm well aware that the TW functions in Archicad work well. I've used them before with success. Though, as of late, I've been noticing that there is some sort of "charge" for using the BIM Server software? I know that I once tried to convince another client to setup a TW account and he was told that it would cost him $3000 per year to be able to use the TW feature? not sure who nor really what he asked from the GS folks...and their local reps but that's what he was told.

I'm all in agreement that TW should be the way to go.
Again, it's not my call, I can only suggest and follow suite.
Link wrote:
You can also use the line tool to draw walls.

This is sadly a common workflow for those who have not yet discovered the power of teamwork or are to afraid/overwhelmed to deal with setting it up.

You can open up a solo project in your explorer window like you said, but only one person can do it at a time and it's only one step better than emailing each other the file.

Get onto Teamwork and move on. Teamwork also has the benefit of better backups and library management.

Cheers,
Link.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
One thing you're failing to understand is that is BIMcloud not BIM Server, which is completely free with ARCHICAD.

Try doing a little research mate;-)

Good luck.

Link.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Anyone else got any suggestions on how to make the DropBox approach work?
Again, it's not my call.........the architect wants to use DropBox instead of setting up a BIMServer project file condition.....so I have follow his lead.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
It should work fine but be aware if you are opening the file in your Dropbox folder directly then every time you save it will want to update the PLN and the BPN files on all other computers that are linked.
The file will be locked so others will know you are working on it so it will be like you are working on a file on an office network.
Except all linked computers will be downloading two files every time you save.

The only way around that is to work on a copy and then copy it back to the Dropbox folder when you want to send the changes.
The downside of this is the original Dropbox file is not locked by Archicad so you will need to communicate with your fellow team member to be sure who is working on the file and when it is free for the other to use.

The best way to find out if it works is to give it a try.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
really wish this potential new client would get into the TW use cause the custom house design is 720mb.....way too much to be copying back and forth every time.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Learn and get certified!