BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

V12-trim to roof

RDI
Participant
I cannot get trim to roof to work in 12.

I followed the help rules, but the command is not active in the Design/Trim to roof.

I may be missing something.

RAN
Ran Wilson
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
Trim to roof does not work on sections or elevations it only works on floor plans and the 3D view.

Please DO NOT double Post.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

TomWaltz
Participant
ejrolon wrote:
Trim to roof does not work on sections or elevations it only works on floor plans and the 3D view..
Uh... yes, it does work on sections and elevations.
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
You have to have at least one wall selected. If no roofs are selected, then all roofs touching the wall are involved in the trim operation. If you also select some roofs, then only those roofs will affect the selected walls.

Generally, Solid Element Operations (subtract with upwards extrusion) are more productive than using the old trim to roof command. Do a search of these forums.

Cheers,
Karl

PS I deleted the double-post.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
Tom,
I tried on my current file, it doesn't, the option is grayed out???
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

RDI
Participant
Thank you for the reply. I will review solid operations.

I was attempting to work in a 3D Document instead of the 3D generic perspective. It did not occur to me that it mattered.

Sorry about the double post. I consider this issue resolved.
Ran Wilson
TomWaltz wrote:
ejrolon wrote:
Trim to roof does not work on sections or elevations it only works on floor plans and the 3D view..
Uh... yes, it does work on sections and elevations.
Not in version 12.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

TomWaltz
Participant
Why would trimmed roofs not work in elevations and sections? Once they're cut, they are cut in all views, not just the 3D window.
Tom Waltz
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Tom:

I think they are referring to the fact that the Trim to Roof... command cannot be executed in section/elevation windows.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!