BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

VOLUME ()

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would like to find the volume of a revolved profile, 360*. Found VOLUME () in the help menu, but no hint what to do with it. Couldn't find anything in the Coolbook, either. I assume it involves a little scripting in GDL. Could somebody clue me in?

Thanks,

Bob
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Answering my own question, sorta.

Need the volume and surface area of a 130' diameter dome, 41' high, on a 14' high stem wall.

My first thought was simply to revolve a profile and get the read out in Element Info. But no, it only does elements, not objects so far as I can tell.

Ok, so maybe use GDL to call out the data? Still don't know how.

Here's what I finally did. Made a dome roof the required size with zero thickness. Made a polyline wall 55' high with the same foot print as the dome. Trim the wall to the dome roofs. Now you can read the values easily in the Element Info palette and it was fairly quick to do.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I am not sure how familiar you are with GDL programming, but this task requires quite good knowledge of it. You need to programme property script which results are accessible through Archicad calculate menu (properties,descriptors,etc...). I have not actually done anything like that in GDL so I can not show you an example. If you were after a solution something like 'var=volume()' ... 'print var' in 3D/Master scripts it will not work.
I know, I didn't help you much....I think you should more explore property script help or so.
::rk
Learn and get certified!