Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Velux window problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone!

I am relatively new to archicad environment and my question refers directly to the proper implementation of the Velux libraries.

As you can see the problem I faced is that the skylight part of the window interacts with the roof and creates an opening while the bottom part which is situated on the vertical wall does not interact as it should and thus does not trim the wall.

I attach the image so you can possibly figure out what am I doing wrong.
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
The skylight objects only belong to the roof that you place them in which is why the cut the hole automatically there but they have no relationship with the wall so they will have no effect on it.

I was going to suggest trying a Solid Element Operation between the skylight and the wall but it seems this is not possible with skylight objects.

So you will need to manually cut a hole in the wall to suit with an empty opening.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
The skylight objects only belong to the roof that you place them in which is why the cut the hole automatically there but they have no relationship with the wall so they will have no effect on it.

I was going to suggest trying a Solid Element Operation between the skylight and the wall but it seems this is not possible with skylight objects.

So you will need to manually cut a hole in the wall to suit with an empty opening.

Barry.
Okay I obviously expectated that the lack of interactivity skylight - wall may be the cause which is by the way a serious flaw as the wall is the right type of geometry this kind of window should interact with.

So what I did was making a morph box and doing a substraction(does it always has to create morph and does it cause any flaws to the wall drawing wise?).

Now the problem is with offsetting the window the suggested by velux 14-15 cm away from the edge.

How come that a component does not take into consideration the very principles of the product's assemble instructions by its producer?
Barry Kelly
No it doesn't need to be a Morph.
It could be a slab or a beam or as I said before just add an empty opening window to the wall that is the correct size (no need for SEO and hidden layer).

I am not familiar with the Velux object but if you set it back 14-15cm from the edge of the roof then there will be nothing there to cut the edge away.

It would make sense that a skylight that is designed to go in both the roof and the wall would interact with both, but unfortunately the skylight tool only interacts with the roof and standard windows interact with the wall.
I am sure it would be major re-programing on Graphisoft's part to do what you wish.
But by all means make a wish for it in the 'Wishes' section of this forum - you never know what might happen.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
AlexanderS.
You might want to consider modeling the vertical Wall piece and the Roof out of a single Shell element.
You can place Skylights into Shells just the same as you can in Roofs.
But the Shell can be an extruded polyline profile so you just draw the profile of the Wall piece and the sloping Roof piece and it creates a single element.
Then you can even place holes into it if the Skylight does not cut its hole properly.
Probably easier to manager then Wall+Roof, plus the Floor Plan representation of Shells is based on a true 3D vertical projection.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27