Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

View scale sets model view scale to same value

kosta
Booster

Hi !

Model view scale is 1:100 by default and this is ok for me lets say I want to work/create in that scale, but after I'm creating View "Save current View" and set it to 1:50 it sets value 1:50 back to model also. 

Is that suppose to work that way ? 

kosta_2-1650374666978.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

The 'Model View' as you call it or 'Project Map' is the correct term, is completely separate to the 'View Map' views.

The Project Map contains 'View Points'.

One View Point for every storey, section, elevation, detail, worksheet, schedule, etc.

You have complete control over the settings for these View Points.

Nothing is saved with them - you can change the settings at any time - they have no default settings.

As you are working, you can then save 'Views' in the View Map.

These Views do contain all of the current settings at the time you create them.

So you have to alter the Project Map settings to create the view you want.

You can create as many Views of a View Point as you like.

You can have the same floor plan with different scales, layer combinations, graphic overrides, renovation filters, pen sets, etc.

The same can be done for each section, elevation, and all other views.

You can also alter the 'View Settings' after you have created a View.

So you don't actually have to have the correct settings when you create a View (but of course it helps to get it correct in the first place).

Some of these views you will then drag onto you Layouts as 'Drawings', knowing that settings are already set and they will appear exactly as you want them.

Other Views may simply be for you to work on the plans, so yes, you may want a plan at a certain scale with certain layers, etc., that you can work on and you won't necessarily add this as a Drawing on the Layouts.

But generally I do not bother with that.

I simply select the View from the View Map that is what I want to work on, storey 1 or elevation 4 or a section, etc.

As I am working on it, if I feel I want a different scale or layers or any other setting, then I just change to what suits me.

All I am doing is changing the current settings.

The Views with all of their settings are safe and can be opened or used as Drawings at any time.

Or I may open a View Point from the Project Map, I may get the current settings from the View I was just working on, but I know there are no settings saved with View Points, and I can change the settings to what ever I want without harming the Drawings I have on my Layouts.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

That is the whole idea of saving views.

You save them with the settings you want.

You then just open a view to work with those settings.

You can then change any of the settings (scale or other settings) and carry on working, knowing that the view settings won't change.

You want to change the settings back, just pick your view again.

As you are saving the view, you are changing the settings to what you want to see in that view.

So yes, your current settings will change.

Just save views for all the settings you need.

So have a plan view at 1:100, another at 1:50 and more at other scales if you need them.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
kosta
Booster

Hi @Barry Kelly 

I'm working with views and know the idea behind it and it's cool for me compared to revit, but ..
I thought model view is model view and not tied to views map, in which I'm creating/preparing views for plot.

I thought model view sits apart from everything,  let's say I want to work and create house in 1:100 and then create various views for A3,  Now it appears that this blue Views are not only for plot preparation but also views map is to view everything,  so now I have to set view and name it "model view" to make AC not change model to 1:50 but stay 1:100, is that correct ? 

It kinda breaks the order of how I was seeing that whole tab 

kosta_0-1650380559247.png

Kosta, I have never worked in Model Views. It gets extremely frustrating to do it which is what your comment is. Always work in the View Map and save views with the different settings you want for specified drawing type which is what your also print from.

Gerald

Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor

@Gerald Hoffman Hi , I guess I will do same.

But that's exactly what I'm talking about , they should either get rid of model view completely or make it separate from "View map"s at least.

I would go for second choice because it is less confusing , you have main canvas "model view" in which you create almost everything and then creating independent

views as you wish. Now with that situation in AC I have to create preset in View map  named "Model" and work with it as if I'm working in model view and set it to desirable scale, But ok, it is what it is.

After all there are other things which are way more frustrating than this views story.

Kosta you probably understand this already but I think of the model view as the skeleton of the project which just has the bones. eg. If I add a storey to the project it is part of the Model View and does not carry any other baggage with it. Another way to think of it is as the structure of the building only. The finishes and cladding etc are added to the structure in the View Map views as things you want to show with the skeleton. It makes sense to me as long as you remember to never work in Model Views. I hope this doesn't insult your intelligence but I have tried teaching this to a few newbies and it is a bit difficult for some to get the hang of it.

Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Solution

The 'Model View' as you call it or 'Project Map' is the correct term, is completely separate to the 'View Map' views.

The Project Map contains 'View Points'.

One View Point for every storey, section, elevation, detail, worksheet, schedule, etc.

You have complete control over the settings for these View Points.

Nothing is saved with them - you can change the settings at any time - they have no default settings.

As you are working, you can then save 'Views' in the View Map.

These Views do contain all of the current settings at the time you create them.

So you have to alter the Project Map settings to create the view you want.

You can create as many Views of a View Point as you like.

You can have the same floor plan with different scales, layer combinations, graphic overrides, renovation filters, pen sets, etc.

The same can be done for each section, elevation, and all other views.

You can also alter the 'View Settings' after you have created a View.

So you don't actually have to have the correct settings when you create a View (but of course it helps to get it correct in the first place).

Some of these views you will then drag onto you Layouts as 'Drawings', knowing that settings are already set and they will appear exactly as you want them.

Other Views may simply be for you to work on the plans, so yes, you may want a plan at a certain scale with certain layers, etc., that you can work on and you won't necessarily add this as a Drawing on the Layouts.

But generally I do not bother with that.

I simply select the View from the View Map that is what I want to work on, storey 1 or elevation 4 or a section, etc.

As I am working on it, if I feel I want a different scale or layers or any other setting, then I just change to what suits me.

All I am doing is changing the current settings.

The Views with all of their settings are safe and can be opened or used as Drawings at any time.

Or I may open a View Point from the Project Map, I may get the current settings from the View I was just working on, but I know there are no settings saved with View Points, and I can change the settings to what ever I want without harming the Drawings I have on my Layouts.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27