Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

WAINSCOT in ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to put together walls to use on a project I am starting in ArchiCAD 11. The building I will be designing has a 3' wainscot of rock on the exterior with 6" stucco trim on top of it, then stucco the rest of the way up. Does anyone know who to build a wainscot in ArchiCAD so that when I do sections, it will be correctly represented. Below is an example of a home that shows what I am talking about. Thanks!

-wsuwcc
6 REPLIES 6
TomWaltz
Participant
Are you familiar with Profiled Walls? I would say that's the way to go.
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
Tom means to suggest the "Complex Profile" tool to generate a complex wall section that is applied with the wall tool. See the reference manual because this can get complex [hence the name].

You can apply different materials to different component surfaces of the complex profile to get your effect.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found that it is easier to use the wall tool and make a wall that is 3' high from current story and is 1" or 2", etc. in width. Choose the texture you want and make it the same for left, right, and side by clicking the link button. Then draw the wall on the outside of your existing wall.
Dwight
Newcomer
And that approach is fine as long as you never try to cut the lower wall with an opening because any advantage of simplicity is lost managing the multiplicity of openings.

The photo shows a complex wall - siding above, stackrock below, some sort of cap or flashing over the stone, etc. Trust me - down the road, you'll appreciate the effort you put in accurately modeling this wall type in your perspectives and wall sections.

Many users avoid Archicad's precision tools - like the complex profile, but a small investment now almost always pays back later in drawing accuracy and craft satisfaction.
Dwight Atkinson
TomWaltz
Participant
BldgArtist wrote:
I found that it is easier to use the wall tool and make a wall that is 3' high from current story and is 1" or 2", etc. in width. Choose the texture you want and make it the same for left, right, and side by clicking the link button. Then draw the wall on the outside of your existing wall.
There was a time when this was the best practice, but the complex walls are much more powerful, much easier to edit, and as Dwight points out, much easier to add doors and windows to. In addition, they can be multi-story, include the foundation footing, and have top/bottom plates added in.
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
Absolutely on target.
Use the complex profile or risk being thought a hack.
Dwight Atkinson