cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY Archicad does not smooth curves

Unabend
Booster

Hello guys!
It is my first post in this precious forum. I am starting to use Archicad after many years of Revit. And I'm a bit panicked 🙂 For example, using the Morph tool, I found that the program, drawing a cylinder, creates a surface divided 36 times, therefore polygonal! I saw that if I have to fillet a corner of a solid, you can choose the number of segmentations, that's a good thing, but the cylinder remains segmented ...
Tell me it's not true, tell me it's just my mistake, it's not possible that in 2021 such expensive software still has this problem.
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solution
Unabend
Booster

Problem solved!

The cylinder always remains polygonal, apparently it is a choice of Graphisoft to have a faster and more responsive program ... and this is a good choice. The second problem was my problem! When I opened the Elevations settings, I didn't select any Elevations, and so the program set ... the next few elevations, not the ones I already had! Which in fact never changed!

Basic rookie error...

Thanks all for the support.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Qualifa
Booster

Greetings @Unabend,

To increase the number of edges, go to Design -> Modify Morph -> Modify Segmentation... and activate the double segment option for faster action, repeat these steps to increase in several more times.

Qualifa_2-1632771931523.png

Qualifa_3-1632772003452.png

Proud member of UNION.ARCHI Network

Unabend
Booster

Hi Qualifa and thanks for the welcome 🙂
OK, your suggestion works perfectly for objects made through the Morph tool.
But this "segmentation" unfortunately also exists in architectural objects, cylindrical columns or curved geometry floors ... If I make a column, inserting the parametric column present in the Archicad library, its generating circle has 36 sides, and not there is no way to increase them.
A friend suggested to me a way, but not completely decisive: enter the settings of the "magic wand" and enter a much higher value of the segmentation of the curves. Consequently, if you make a circular slab for example, just make it using the magic wand tool, and its edges will be perfect. If you do it normally, its edges will be polygonal.
What a pity 😞

RevitRevit20210927_200147.jpgTwo slabsTwo slabsTwo slabsTwo slabs

Approximation, you can't do without it. Yes, it makes it difficult to visualise small architectural forms, but with smoothing (I hope you removed it for the example) and visualising the exterior at a certain distance, this aspect will not be noticeable.

Unabend
Booster

What do you mean with "but with smoothing (I hope you removed it for the example)"?

thanks!

In the 3D display presets there is detailed shading, selecting this option causes objects to be smoothed.
View -> 3D View Options -> Detailed Shading

Unabend
Booster

I was in Detailed shading mode! No difference, because is the object "construction", not the shading that makes difference... If you see the same object in Wireframe, you will see the "grid" of 36 segments of my cilynder column 😞

20210928_000335.jpg

Steve Jepson
Expert

there are some GDL scripts that can help with this too.  For example take a look at some of the scripts for things like the Elbow 25  object  2021-09-27_15-05-45.png

you can open the object to take a look at the script for this setting, copy and paste to your own object.   ?

ArchiCAD 25 3011 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49 Multilight 2.1.0.1

This is an area , which Graphisot could enhance !

AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|

for sure!

Thanks Steve!

But... where are these scripts? And can they also concern columns or floors or any other parametric building element of Archicad?

2021-09-28_17-51-58.pngIf you open one of the Basic Shapes like Cylinder 25 or something you can look at the GDL scripting for those objects and they can be used as examples of how to make your own objects.  Or you can edit the script, save it with a different name, copy and paste form them...  I don't know what you need to model but it is also important to understand that the limitation for smoothness is in the Archicad program, but that does not mean you can not import something into the program that is very, very smooth and it will display as good as the video card you are using can handle.  Also useful to know is that if you give something like one of the Basic Shapes, Curved Base.... a very high number for resolution, if you convert that to a morph, it can be smoother than any morph you can create by editing magic wand settings or increasing that morph segmentation.   There is always a way to get what you need out of Archicad in terms of generating the necessary Working Drawings/Construction Documents - in spite of the programs limitations.  If you really need something to be as smooth as babies behind, it is not really very often and it can be done in ways that do not include creating it with Archicad.   Archicad is primaily for the sake of generating Plans - Working Drawings for Buildings.  Not so much for modeling perfume bottles.  Also, there is a point of diminishing returns on making things perfectly smooth in a CAD model.  Objects quite often serve only as a convenient place holder that is being referenced - it does not very often need to me hyper-detailed and 100% anatomically correct to do the job.  Archicad is not manufacturing CAD software - its for buildings.  But I have been complaining for decades about the smoothness I want to have in Details, which ( if you ask me) is not always what I would like in Archicad.  I find it rather embracing when the details I would like to make with Archicad are just adequate.   

ArchiCAD 25 3011 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49 Multilight 2.1.0.1

SenecaDesignLLC
Booster

no matter what program you use, a circle is just triangles. at some point a circle is always segmented. whether you can see it or not.

The real question is why is it so important to you, that might help generate an answer that is what you are looking for.

AC 24, Twinmotion current, Windows 11, Msi 10UG with rtx 3070, wacom intuos pro m, Wacom Cintiq Pro 16, razer Tartarus pro.

Hello Seneca!

I dont want to see the 36 segment-faceted circular column in my 3d or planar views 😞

colonne.JPG

So then you want more resolution.  

its interesting because im using v24 and no matter what view i look at i dont see segmentation.  using the column tool.

maybe share your 3d view settings.

1.png

AC 24, Twinmotion current, Windows 11, Msi 10UG with rtx 3070, wacom intuos pro m, Wacom Cintiq Pro 16, razer Tartarus pro.

Unabend
Booster

Wow! Then I install version 24? :))
In my case, I can only change the display settings if I am in a 3d window, if instead I am in a section or in an elevation I cannot ... How to do it?
In a 3D window, if instead of "vector engine" I insert "hardware acceleration", the circular wall improves a lot, while the 36-sided circular column always remains. In the elevation views, nothing changes: the curves are always faceted, but I can't even change the graphic display, switching for example to all white etc .....

3dview settings.JPG3dview settings_vector.JPGElevation settings_acc hardware.JPGElevation settings_vector.JPG

SenecaDesignLLC
Booster

you will always see the segmentation with vectorial engine. if you use the open gl then you wont have issues. 2.png

are you using a mac?  that should have been my first question.

Unabend
Booster

No mac, windows 10 pro on a HP Z4... 

Ok, in the 3D Window these settings work: when I put OpenGL the curves are more nuanced and soft, you always see the segments, but very little. If I put the vector motor they come back to see themselves very flashy (like in my previous images).
Instead I can't change the situation in Elevations and Sections 😞

hmm can you share a screen shot of the elevation or section?

even if i show a wood column with timber variation i dont get extra lines. jus the outer lines you expect to see.

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!