Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Waffle Roof Systems - Complex Profile or Curtain Wall?

Mjules
Mentor
Which tool would work best to draw the enclosed waffle roof system? I tried realizing it using "Complex Profile," but unable to control the in-between glazing for waterproofing purposes. That's why I think the curtain wall tool should do the work so that I can better control the in-between spaces by playing with different materials. I would like to receive your technical insights...
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
4 REPLIES 4
Podolsky
Ace
Curtain wall in ArchiCAD does not support double curvature surfaces. It can be only flat or cylindrical. For shapes as you are showing was designed tool called Shell. After you model the main shape, you can create mullions. I guess easiest way is to use Morph tool, or convert element, made with Morph as GDL object.
Mjules
Mentor
Podolsky wrote:
Curtain wall in ArchiCAD does not support double curvature surfaces. It can be only flat or cylindrical. For shapes as you are showing was designed tool called Shell. After you model the main shape, you can create mullions. I guess easiest way is to use Morph tool, or convert element, made with Morph as GDL object.
Thanks, Podolsky ! I did it using the wall "complex profile" from ARCHICAD. I already tried the shell tool. May be I have to combine it with the curtain wall to obtain the expected results.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Podolsky
Ace
The plus of shell is that you can extrude or rotate it anyway you want and also have any contour on the plan. Shell was especially designed for complex shape roofs (as in your case).
Mjules
Mentor
Shell should have done the work, but I also need to size the spanned beams as well as the in-between frames that will support the glazing system.
Podolsky wrote:
The plus of shell is that you can extrude or rotate it anyway you want and also have any contour on the plan. Shell was especially designed for complex shape roofs (as in your case).
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)