Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Wall Accessory 21 Tool

poco2013
Mentor
Having a problem with using the Wall Accessory tool in 21. The tool is very inconsistent in that it sometimes works and sometimes not. Works just fine in 20 and used it a lot there without a problem. Depends now on what wall is used and where located in 21.

I did a complete re-install, but same result? I also contacted tech support, sent in the plan, and they pretty much said I'm on my own.

If Archicad can no longer do wall framing - this is a deal breaker for me?

Anyone have any suggestions (other then use a new cad program)?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Can you show an example of when it won't work?

I can't say I have tried it in 21 but if we have an example to try then maybe we can figure it out.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
poco2013
Mentor
Attached is unlisted video describing the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated. -- did reload goodies & Archicad - no luck

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIlyHmaC-Ehttp://
Gerry

Barry Kelly
poco2013 wrote:
Attached is unlisted video describing the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated. -- did reload goodies & Archicad - no luck

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIlyHmaC-Ehttp://
Interesting problem.

Just to explain the video a bit, the wall accessory is working - but not for walls in particular areas.
Drag the wall in or out of the specific area and the wall accessory appears/disappears.

This makes me think there is nothing wrong with the accessory tool.

I am inclined to think that there is something in that position that is trimming the wall (the plan view may not be affected) so that the accessory object becomes invalid.
The object gets the geometry from the wall it is associated to so if something is happening to the wall that it doesn't like that would explain the problem.

It is hard to say what might be happening without seeing the file but this is what I would try.

What does the actual wall look like in 3D? (the accessories can be applied in 3D as well).
Drag a copy of the wall that is working to the area that is not working.
Select both of the walls and look at them in 3D.
Do they look identical or is one of them being trimmed by some hidden element?

In the layer settings change the intersection priority number for the layer the wall is on so it is different to all other layers (or set it to zero).
Now it will not automatically trim with other elements.
Does the accessory work now?

If this is not the issue then I am at a bit of a loss for other ideas without playing with the file.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
poco2013
Mentor
Definitely don't understand what is going on?????

BUT:

3d and section displays exactly as plan. 3D works as plan.

For convenience to display framing the Wall object is on a different layer than the wall --- wall object is on framing and wall on A_Wall_INTR

Set both layers to zero and now works. Don't know what effect it will have on connections -- have to play with it some more?

Thanks for the help!!
Gerry

Barry Kelly
poco2013 wrote:
For convenience to display framing the Wall object is on a different layer than the wall --- wall object is on framing and wall on A_Wall_INTR
That is perfect so you can turn the framing on or off as you want.
poco2013 wrote:
Set both layers to zero and now works. Don't know what effect it will have on connections -- have to play with it some more?
OK this means there is something else in another layer that is automatically trimming the wall.
That layer can be hidden - the connection will still take effect.

Setting the Intersection Priority Number to zero will stop all connections - even within that same layer.
Setting the number to something different from all the other layers will also stop the connections between the different layers but elements in the same layer will now connect.

Also the IPN is stored in each layer combination so you need to make the change in each combination where it is important.

I am guessing that there is a slab above and/or below the walls in certain areas that are connecting with the wall making the accessory not work.
That is why when you move the internal wall outside of the building the accessory suddenly re-appears.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello guys,

We took a look at the file in question, and it appears to be a bug in the script of the Wall Framing object. If it touches certain other instances of the frame object, the scripts report an error, and they fail to generate.

An entry was recorded in our database for this error, but since this is happening in a goodie, and not in ARCHICAD (and goodies are officially unsupported), it doesn't have a high priority (especially since this has been the first and only report of this issue).

You can still use the workarounds suggested before (using different layers, with different intersection priorities), or you can use the Curtain wall tool to design framings instead, by setting the frames to timber, and the panels to air (at least that's what I usually do).

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
poco2013
Mentor
Just saw your reply -- Thanks for the look.
Also great tip on curtain walls . I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Again.
Gerry