BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Wall Finish Between Two Roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,
I was using Archicad while I am in college, and start to use it again in my projects. I have trouble about roofs and cannot find any solution in this forum. So maybe it is not a problem for most of you but I need your help I use archicad 21 and two roofs in two layers. I created wall composites one for exterior wall, one for interior wall. As you can see in screenshots, they have different problems. if I use trim roofs to each other, my walls finish doesn't act as I want. If I don't use trim roofs, the lower roofs material seen on the wall. I cannot find any solution. If I am not clear enough, sorry about that my english is not good, please look at the screenshots.

*By the way, I cannot find how to upload project as attachment. If you can tell me I can upload the .pln file.
Thank you for your time
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
I have looked at your file.
In one set of roofs you have 2 walls in the same location.
I deleted the wall on the inside.
Then it is possible to 'trim to roof' - first to the upper roof and keep the lower portion of wall.
then to the lower roof and keep the upper portion of wall.
You don't want the trimming bodies (roofs) to be merged - they need to be separate.

With any trim to roof the trimming body must overlap the wall.
With an SEO, the actual roof must overlap the wall.

If you don't want to see the roof on the inside of the wall, then adjust the building material strengths, so the roof is weaker that the wall.
Strong wins out.
You will now see the bottom of the wall cutting the roof.

Because the upper roof is level, I would adjust the wall top height so it sits just below the roof (that is how it would actually be built as well).
Then you just need to trim or SEO to the lower roof.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Seyma wrote:
Hello everyone,
I was using Archicad while I am in college, and start to use it again in my projects. I have trouble about roofs and cannot find any solution in this forum. So maybe it is not a problem for most of you but I need your help I use archicad 21 and two roofs in two layers. I created wall composites one for exterior wall, one for interior wall. As you can see in screenshots, they have different problems. if I use trim roofs to each other, my walls finish doesn't act as I want. If I don't use trim roofs, the lower roofs material seen on the wall. I cannot find any solution. If I am not clear enough, sorry about that my english is not good, please look at the screenshots.

*By the way, I cannot find how to upload project as attachment. If you can tell me I can upload the .pln file.
Thank you for your time
Anyone can help me?
( I just misclicked "solved" button and cannot undo it.)
Barry Kelly
In this particular case I would not use the trim to roof command, as that uses the roof trimming body.
I would use the old school Solid Element Operations.
Select the wall and the upper roof and the subtract with upward extrusion - this will leave the wall below the roof.
Then select the wall and the lower roof and subtract with downward extrusion - this will leave the wall above the roof.
So now you should be left with the wall between the two roofs if that is what you are after.

To upload a PLN as an attachment you will have to ZIP it - but there is still a size limit on this forum.
Otherwise upload it to a file sharing folder such as Dropbox or iCloud, and then share the link to the file for others to download.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
In this particular case I would not use the trim to roof command, as that uses the roof trimming body.
I would use the old school Solid Element Operations.
Select the wall and the upper roof and the subtract with upward extrusion - this will leave the wall below the roof.
Then select the wall and the lower roof and subtract with downward extrusion - this will leave the wall above the roof.
So now you should be left with the wall between the two roofs if that is what you are after.

To upload a PLN as an attachment you will have to ZIP it - but there is still a size limit on this forum.
Otherwise upload it to a file sharing folder such as Dropbox or iCloud, and then share the link to the file for others to download.

Barry.
Thank you Barry for your reply
I've tried in one like you said solid element operations but I don't want to roof material seen from the wall. That's why I am trying to trim roofs to each other.
But you are correct, the way you are telling is the nearest way what I want
I upload pln file. Thank you for sharing that knowledge too

If you want, you can download file in here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/auc29dgy5o3a2su/wall%20finish%20between%20two%20roof.pln?dl=0
Solution
Barry Kelly
Then it is possible to 'trim to roof' - first to the upper roof and keep the lower portion of wall.
You don't want the trimming bodies (roofs) to be merged - they need to be separate.

If you don't want to see the roof on the inside of the wall, then adjust the building material strengths, so the roof is weaker that the wall.
Strong wins out.

Because the upper roof is level, I would adjust the wall top height so it sits just below the roof (that is how it would actually be built as well).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

roof_trimming_1.jpg

Strong wins out.

roof_trimming_2.jpg

Barry.

Thank you so much Barry
Anonymous
Not applicable
HI, i need help with this same topic.
When i cut a wall between two roofs (solid elements operations - with downward extrusion).
The wall below is cut too.
How can it be solved?
Karl Ottenstein
Daniel wrote:
HI, i need help with this same topic.
When i cut a wall between two roofs (solid elements operations - with downward extrusion).
The wall below is cut too.
How can it be solved?
It's doing what it should. In life, that would be built/assembled as two (or three) stacked walls, so that's really how you should model it.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your time.
Learn and get certified!