BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Wall Niche

Anonymous
Not applicable
In Archicad 11, in GDL, I'm wanting to do something similar to the WALLHOLE command, but I don't want it to go all the way through the wall, only partially. What commands are useful for this, and are there examples of this? I looked at the WALLNICHE command, but I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for.

I created a round window and want the exterior trim to have the ability to be recessed back into the brick instead of the exterior part of the brick if I want.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas Holm
Booster
You could always check out the niche objects in the standard window library.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
You might be interested in this thread.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=109686&highlight=wallhole#109686
If you look in the GDL manual there is a method using wallhole with
an infill body to plug the hole with a hole in it to insert the window.
This might work for you.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
WALLNICHE is all you need. It works just like the WALLHOLE statement except that it has a depth limit.

You can create a quick one by drawing the shape you want with a slab, type "WALLNICHE" into the ID field in the info box, and then drag and drop the slab into the 3D script window (you can do the same with the WALLHOLE). ArchiCAD writes the script for you and you can then tweak the parameters if you like.

Tom Waltz once shared a wallhole in the shape of Wile E. Coyote once. You might be able to find it here with a search.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew is right. Wallniche is all you need.
I was not sure so I tested it with the niche object
in the AC library. After inserting the niche "window"
insert a regular window into the niche, adjust the
jamb depth, and your are done.
No need for a fill body with a hole because
you can insert a window in a window.
It punches it's own hole through the back of the niche.
You can auto-script the niche object as Matthew
outlined or script it yourself so that it is parametric.
Peter Devlin
Learn and get certified!