BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall and slab intersection - slab edge

bouhmidage
Advisor
Hi mates !
here is the attachement :

in the image 01 i wanted to show my usual strategy to work with walls and slabs:

- wall base always on 0, and reference on core exterior , this method ( i always suffer on creating walls/rooms with exact measures using this refenrence line method but it helps for creating connection between 2 walls vertically when i have slab materials with high priorities )

- reference is set to slab core and 0 level.

i use this method to generate automatic collisions, but in the other hand, i lose the 0 level of my floor, is there any other solution to get a floor on 0 and generatin collisions ??
in other words, wich is the best strategy to work with

In the IMG 2,
with same strategy, i always get apparent slab edges for balconies with no wall underneath.
how to fix them to get clean result on both plan and sections , i want to use building materials not surfaces cause i have to calculate material quantities later.
Thank you !
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
2 REPLIES 2
Podolsky
Ace
You can set your slab that floor would be on zero. Then top of the structural slab is -5 cm. Just shift everything down 5 cm. It's more common in architecture to have storey zero for finish level, not structural slab.

In situation shown on pict.2 - just separate wall that goes above the slab only and stretch the bottom of the wall to the bottom of the slab. Or, if you want, you can draw small wall that represent only render on the edge of the slab. Do it in 3D view and set wall representation "cut only" - than additional render piece will not be shown on the floor plan, but you will get correct quantity.
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.

I use the same method: walls start and end on floor levels, slabs core at floor level; finish slabs using bottom reference plane as a separate element. This has worked for me. PBC takes care of a lot of details.

Podolsky wrote:
It's more common in architecture to have storey zero for finish level, not structural slab.
Quite true. But in Archicad's case moving walls (or extending) down to slab core might yield other issues I've seen, like changing wall's home story or keeping an eye on its display parameters (like when it shows on story below).

As for image 2, I've found that a complex profiled beam works great.

Hope that helps.
Best regards.
Learn and get certified!