BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall angled to rise along its length

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way to have a wall angled so that one end is higher than the other?

The only way I can do it to create a beam profile. This is ok as long as I do not want a curved wall, which I do .

Any pointers will be appreciated.

TIA
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
NCornia wrote:
I noticed in your signature that you have AC16 and this is a perfect chance to use the new Morph tool. I made a quick video you can reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq1QnCI2xyQ I used a simple wall but you could create a complex profile that includes the glass as you show in your picture, then convert to a morph.

I did not include it in my video but you can classify a Morph element using the Element Classification in the Morph Settings dialog under Tags & Categories. This way you have some ability to schedule the wall and perform quantity take-offs.

HTH
@ Nick,

Super video - perfect pacing, clear voice over, etc! Great example of some of the Morph features.

@ Everyone especially 'solitaire':

CAUTION:

As Nick said, there is "some ability to schedule". In fact, there is almost none beyond surface and volume. When you convert building elements to Morphs, you lose almost all of the "I" (Information) in "BIM". Do this only when you fully understand the implications on your model and scheduling ability. The solution presented by Dwight is fully BIM, on the other hand.

For example, while you can change the Classification of the Morph to be a "Wall", it no longer has a length or a height (or a radius, or any other wall parameters). If it was made up of composites or a CP, it no longer has schedulable skin components.

You can NOT insert a window into the Morph - something that user 'solitaire' wanted to do - so you must insert the windows into the wall before it is converted to a Morph.... BUT... once you convert the entire assembly (wall with windows) to a Morph, you can NOT schedule the windows - they have no parametric data any longer.

Lastly, since you must insert the windows before Morph conversion, when you skew the curved wall, the windows themselves will be skewed/distorted also. So, the only way to get the windows into the resulting mass, undistorted, is to cut holes manually in the Morph, draw thin/short walls and insert the windows into them, and then drag the fake walls with windows into the Morph cavity. ... and keep all these bits coordinated as you move forward.

So... very cool demo of Morph and well-done video, but IMHO extreme caution is advised before converting a 'normal' building element to a Morph.

Cheers,
Karl

Edit: typos
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can make the curved wall in plan and then SEO it with two roof with extrusion. In this way you can have the "skewed" wll and at the same time be able to insert windows in it. Whisch is the purpose of the wall, isn't it.

By the way - great video, Nicholas!
Learn and get certified!