Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Wall edge surfaces are not overridden

Mike96
Advocate

Hello,

I have a problem with a specific model from which I extracted two walls, built with the same material, on the same layer and storey, with base lines connected, but:

The side (edge) surface finish of the thicker wall doesn't get overridden, and you can see default material texture showing through, even though all wall surface finishes are overridden in the settings, for both walls.

The problem does not occur with a fresh model - only in this one.

I can't figure out what's wrong with these walls. Can you help?

wykończenie ścian - problem.png

Please use the attached PLN, saved in AC 25 POL.

ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Good catch. Yes, the walls in the file are not parallel and changing that fixes the issue.

The intersection between two walls nonparallel walls with different thicknesses naturally gets messed up when the thinner wall is to short for the thicker walls surface to extend and connect with the surface of the thinner wall. I guess this in turn messes up the edge surface override as AC probably doesn't expect there to be any edge surface between two intersecting walls. Using the legacy option for intersections fixes the issue.

Too bad we don't have better control of intersections between wall segments, as we have for beams.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Can you reproduce it with new walls in the model? I can only reproduce it by copying the thick wall.

Seems related to intersection of the thick wall, eg. if you change the intersection group number of the walls the issue will disappear. 

You mean this setting?

Mike96_0-1662536671943.png

I can't see a relation between this issue and wall intersection group number. No matter how I change intersection numbers, the thick wall will retain its side non-painted, while a new pair of walls like these will "behave properly".

How exactly did you change the wall intersection numbers?

ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10

No. The intersection group number is tied to layers so the walls has to be on different layers which might not be feasible. It was more a diagnostic comment - there seem to be something wrong with the thick wall element that is connected to intersection of walls but I can't see anything obvious.

But as said. When I create new walls in the file everything seems OK. Is this the case for you as well? Are there multiple instances of this issue in the original model or was it just this element?

DGSketcher
Legend

@Mike96 wrote:

The problem does not occur with a fresh model - only in this one.

Is this a legacy drawing? I am seeing more intermittent odd behaviour in migrated & copy/paste data. Occasionally I find it is just easier to delete the parts which appear broken and recreate them. I am not condoning these data failures, but sometimes it is just quicker & easier to get your hands dirty & fix it manually.

As pulling them apart fixes the surface and then rejoining recreates the same "error" I would be inclined to send this to your local support, it may be a bug that might be fixed.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Yes, my situation is just as yours - new walls in the model will be covered with surface paint, as expected. There were multiple spots in the original model with this issue, but unoftunately, I'm not allowed to share the whole model.

ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10

By "legacy drawing", do you mean whether it was previously saved in an older version of Archicad? No, as far as I know, it was created in AC 25 POL and always saved in this version. As you said, it might be the easiest thing to just redo those parts from scratch.

ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10

Yes, I was thinking you have brought it in from AC24 or earlier. If it isn't legacy I would be even more inclined to submit that PLN to Support for checking.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Miha_M
Advisor

I can replicate this problem in Archicad 25, there seems to be something wrong with wall intersections. My example, which is based on your situation. Two walls, different thickness, intersection. I rotated one wall 20° and get this (see the 2D and 3D view difference):

Miha_M_0-1662560469206.png

I think the two walls in your file are just a tiny amount not aligned in their direction. Here is my result with this alignment problem:

Miha_M_1-1662560818914.png

Same situation, aligned walls:

Miha_M_2-1662560959798.png

Bug? @Minh Nguyen 

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Solution

Good catch. Yes, the walls in the file are not parallel and changing that fixes the issue.

The intersection between two walls nonparallel walls with different thicknesses naturally gets messed up when the thinner wall is to short for the thicker walls surface to extend and connect with the surface of the thinner wall. I guess this in turn messes up the edge surface override as AC probably doesn't expect there to be any edge surface between two intersecting walls. Using the legacy option for intersections fixes the issue.

Too bad we don't have better control of intersections between wall segments, as we have for beams.