Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall intersection issues

JPL_DESIGN_GUY
Newcomer
Good afternoon! I have been using a log wall I created as a complex profile and set as a favorite. It has worked just fine up until recently when I noticed an issue with the way it joins together at an outside corner for example. Hopefully you can see what I mean in the attached JPEG file. In the past it has always formed a nice 45 degree mitered corner and then I can add corners as needed. Any thoughts on what setting I may have changed by mistake?
John Lanner, CGP
Sr. Design Consultant
Beaver Mountain Log Homes
13 REPLIES 13
Did you check the group intersect number in your layer settings?

Perhaps you can answer a question for me. How do you get those group intersect numbers to quit changing back to 1 ?

Your log walls might be trying to clean up with your fascia for something with the same group intersect number but not visible in that view ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

doing a search to see if I can find out how to make the group intersect number quit changing I see that this was a problem for me 7 year ago... and it still is.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?printertopic=1&t=18142&postdays=0&postorder=asc&st...

There is no way to make those group intersect numbers quit changing. They are meant to be temporary.

However, apparently you can save them if you save a view that has them the way you want them.

I am don't like that at all. I want these group intersect numbers to stay the way I set them until I decide to change them again.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Barry Kelly
Steve wrote:
doing a search to see if I can find out how to make the group intersect number quit changing I see that this was a problem for me 7 year ago... and it still is.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?printertopic=1&t=18142&postdays=0&postorder=asc&st...

There is no way to make those group intersect numbers quit changing. They are meant to be temporary.

However, apparently you can save them if you save a view that has them the way you want them.

I am don't like that at all. I want these group intersect numbers to stay the way I set them until I decide to change them again.
Always use layer combinations.
The settings in a layer combination will remain the same until you manually reset it yourself.
Any changes you make to just a layer will get over-written as soon as you use a layer combination because it will reset everything to how the combination was set up.
Make sure when saving your views they are save with a particular layer combination.
You should never see 'Custom' for layer combination (or any other settings - pens, MVOs, etc.) unless you are just playing around to see what something looks like.
With combinations you can make a change at any time and all views using that combination will update automatically.
With 'Custom' you must change each view separately.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Of course I use lots of Layer Combinations. I use one for every View. I never use Custom Layer Combos either.

When I change layer intersect numbers it is when I am randomly exploring the model in the 3D window and I happen to see something that looks bad. Or I have selected only certain layers to view in the 3D window to make sure everything fits. I am not using any particular Layer Combination. And I have no need to save the view. I may never look at it again. It might be something that looks fine in all of my View maps.

The reason to change a layer intersect numbers is just to fix some graphic anomaly. It is not to take the place of Junction Order, Display Order, Material Priority, or something like that.

This is why I think these numbers should have nothing to do with View maps or Layer Combinations. They are related to How the layers are displayed not Which layers are viewed.

If the graphic anomaly is corrected by assigning different intersect numbers to the layers until you see it the way it should be, why would you want to use different intersect numbers in some other views ?
Shouldn't the same set of layer intersect numbers that worked for one Layer Combo work for all the other Layer Combos too?

Eduardo Rolon
Steve wrote:

If the graphic anomaly is corrected by assigning different intersect numbers to the layers until you see it the way it should be, why would you want to use different intersect numbers in some other views ?
Shouldn't the same set of layer intersect numbers that worked for one Layer Combo work for all the other Layer Combos too?
I use layer intersect numbers to control SEO issues (I have always used slabs for SEOs and with PBCs they need a different number), control Overhead Items in plan and to be able to control and fine tune Renovation filter problems. In all cases being able to specify different layer combinations have saved me lots of time.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

JPL_DESIGN_GUY
Newcomer
The only items I have drawn in this project are the first floor slab and the exterior walls.......They are on different layers (floor vs. wall) so I am not sure what intersect points could be interfering. Something changed because even when I open previous designs that were once correct I am seeing this issue. I don't know if it's something I cause or not but I'd love to know how to fix it
John Lanner, CGP
Sr. Design Consultant
JPL_DESIGN_GUY
Newcomer
I tried changing the A-Wall Exterior layer to 2 while the A-Floor layer of my slab is set to 1 but that didn't correct my issue. I do add exterior corners later in the project but I would put them on another layer with a different intersect number from the wall layer so they don't join.
John Lanner, CGP
Sr. Design Consultant
Eduardo Rolon
Can't seem to get it to make the error. Did you try to create/duplicate the Profile again? it might be something there.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

JPL_DESIGN_GUY
Newcomer
My log walls are a profile that I created to match our logs which I haven't changed or created newly. Even older projects with log walls are doing this. I am not great with this software but will try to create a new log wall profile and see if that corrects the issue. Thanks!
John Lanner, CGP
Sr. Design Consultant