Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall lines become thin if wall shortened - how to fix that?

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I make a composite wall shorter (a negative number in "Top offset to top linked story" box in Wall selection settings>Geometry) the lines the wall is displayed with in the plan become just thin outlines and doors/windows on this wall disappear from the plan.

How can this behavior be overruled and the lines do not change and are kept with default thickness and hatch, and doors/windows are displayed (without changing the story height)?

I thought this may have something to do with the Floor Plan Cut Plane Settings, but could not find anything relevant there.

ArchiCad 18
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Vic wrote:
I thought this may have something to do with the Floor Plan Cut Plane Settings, but could not find anything relevant there.
It does.
You can either change either change the height of your FPCP and remember the views in the view map store this setting so you need to go into the settings of each views and change it there if necessary.

Or it sounds like you have your walls set to 'Projected with Overhead' as their Floor Plan Display option.
Change this (for each wall) to 'Symbolic' and you will see the wall as it was set up in the composite settings - regardless of the FPCP height.

I have all my wall tool set to this as default and change the walls only when I need to show them differently in relation to the FPCP (i.e. when above or below the FPCP and I want to show them as empty fill solid line or dashed).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, Barry!

This wall is set to "Projected". I have "Symbolic" grayed out and it can not be selected. How can I change that?

I did not understand your first suggestion about FPCP.
Barry Kelly
If you don't have the option for 'Symbolic' wall then you are probably using a complex profile wall - these can not be symbolic.

To adjust the FPCP you need to go into the FPCP settings and adjust the height.
This will adjust how your wall is shown on plan.

However each View in the View Map remembers the setting for the FPCP so as soon as you use one of these views it will revert to the setting saved with that view.
You must open the settings for the view and you will see an option in there to change the FPCP height.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Vic wrote:
This wall is set to "Projected". I have "Symbolic" grayed out and it can not be selected. How can I change that?
If the Wall is Basic or Composite, first set Show on Stories to Home Story Only.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14